My Experience with Motorized Ball Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony G

Reaction score
Motorized Ball Valves

A common perception about motorized ball valves is that they are prohibitively expensive. The costs associated with the valves themselves, plus the requisite programmable logic controllers and automation system, are enough to drive the small home brewer away. However, many brewers who are looking to grow their operation should consider motorized ball valves over manual and solenoid varieties.

Motorized Ball Valves vs. Manual

Let's face it: Your dreams of turning your home brew into the next successful craft beer don't include running around your system to adjust manual ball valves. In addition to saving time on "brew day," you can save time during clean up. Due to the fact that a manual ball valve can be positioned in between fully open and closed, fluid and debris can collect inside the valve. In comparison, motorized ball valves are designed to be either open or closed with no in between flow setting, thereby cutting down on the amount of residue in the valve.

Motorized Ball Valves vs. Solenoid

Both motorized ball valves and solenoid valves can be used in automated brewing systems. They differ in that solenoid types use internal rubber diaphragms that are difficult to clean. Motorized ball valves utilize high temperature seals instead of rubber diaphragms, making clean up easier. Furthermore, solenoid valves in general are less reliable than motorized ball valves because they tend to break more often.

In my own brewing process I decided to try this out and use a couple motorized ball valves to see how they would perform and make my life easier. I got a couple units of D1151145 from Deelat Industrial. I needed a valve that can handle temperatures up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Their motorized ball valves can handle temperatures of up to 194 degrees Fahrenheit, making them suitable for brewing applications.

Their motorized ball valves can handle temperatures of up to 194 degrees Fahrenheit, making them suitable for brewing applications.

This seems almost to obvious to ask but what about the boil?... 212F.

Back