My Dad and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
So, it's my birthday (in 2 days) but I'm going out with my family today. For those of you familiar with the Madison area, I'm thinking of either Jacs or Brasserie V (Belgian focused), The Old Fashioned, or The Grumpy Troll Brewpub.

I love beer, but my dad does not. He's long been opposed to it since he drank beer sporadically in the UK (usually with lemon, apparently). However, I'm convinced that every should and can love beer, it's just a process.

So, I'm wondering how I can help nudge my dad to like beer. For him beer is 'too bitter' (he often grimaces after taking a sip). I'm guessing it might be along the lines of Weizen beers, then going from there, but I'm unconvinced. The only beer he has liked (and drank 1/2 to a whole pint!) was Goose Island's Winter Mild. It's brown, with some rye, and conservatively hopped. I'm fairly confident he turned down a New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat (probably again 'too bitter').

Are belgians the answer? How can I convince an old man he's not too curmudgeon-y to change his palate?

Belgians may indeed be the answer! You may want to try to start him out with something mass-market, and not too Belgian'y, like Blue Moon. I'm not a fan of Blue Moon, but many of my previously BMC-drinking friends have branched out to good beer after braving a glass. Another good one is Lindemans Framboise Raspberry Lambic.

Or you can just let him like what he like or doesn't like....Not everyone likes beer...so what? It's only beer, and not everyone is as passionate about it as we are.

A sign of maturity is letting folks be who they are and being who you are, and not trying to push one's beliefs onto other folks. Especially those we love.......

Or you can just let him like what he like or doesn't like....Not everyone likes beer...so what? It's only beer, and not everyone is as passionate about it as we are.

A sign of maturity is letting folks be who they are and being who you are, and not trying to push one's beliefs onto other folks. Especially those we love.......

Once again, Revvy beats me to the punch. Broke my heart that my dad won't even try my brews. But you know what? He's still my 'old man' and will only be around for a set time. Him not liking beer, let alone mine, is small potatoes! You can try, but don't push too hard.

I love my old man to death, but his idea of good beer is Molson. In a green bottle. We agree to disagree pretty solidly on that one...

Are belgians the answer? How can I convince an old man he's not too curmudgeon-y to change his palate?

My father is the same way and I just leave it at that. :D

No, we don't brew together or get to argue over the brewing process BUT on the flipside he's never critical of my brews and isn't an alcoholic :ban:

Latest posts

Back