Must have wine additives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
I keep finding recipes that call for something I don't have and I'm a terrible planner. What do you all keep on hand that will cover most every recipe?

Example: yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, all these kinds of things...

Yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, D.A.P. (diammonium phosphate), pectic enzyme, and a selection of various yeasts. I also keep things like acid blend & wine tannin, but I rarely use those.
Regards, GF.

Campden tablets or potassium metabisulfate, potassium sorbate (stabalizer), and a hydrometer. The hydrometer is a tool that will help you a lot.

All of the above plus sparkloid .benonite and calcium carbonite. I keep two hydrometers in case of breakage. I had that happen before.

A freezer full of frozen juice concentrate. (no preservatives!!!) May sound a little hokey at first but here me out. I buy apple, purple grape, and white grape juice concentrate when it is on sale. Then when I am making a fresh fruit brew or even a juice brew I add the concentrate in place of some of the sugar. This gives me TONS of flavor depth that I would have not gotten had I added sugar alone. I also use these three juices for back-sweetening sometimes. The white grape and the apple are good for mild wines where the flavor is not very assertive. I tend to use the white grape on things with a delicate color (that I don't want to be adding brown to) and I use apple for everything else in the non assertive camp. The grape is good on reds that have highly assertive flavors like raspberry, cranberry or pomegranate.

Thanks for the responces guys.. There will be some good wines come out of it.

Swifty

Latest posts

Back