Musselman's 100% Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Ok guys I used Musselsman's Pure Pressed Cider for my second batch. Started on the 28th it was bubbling like mad then slowed mid week and now on just 4 days in there is no activity on the airlock. I did pour this onto the old lees so maybe I screwed up there. I was told it would be ok.

We used about 9 ounces of brown sugar and half packet of Cider House select yeast. OG was 1.080
No reading taken yet I'm just watching it. I do have that fart sulfur smell so perhaps something has messed with fermentation? I swirled it a bit and this was when it slowed down. Maybe warming it a bit will start it back up? add some yeast? pray over it or do an exorcism?

usually/often times the sulfer smell means the yeast is stressed and needs nutrients
Maybe pop some crushed raisins? I did that last cider and the lady at the brew shop said it will add nutrient if I don't have anything else to use

Update: I added about 1/4 cup crushed raisins and in about 30 minutes it went right back to bubbling about one bubble every 2 seconds.

Last edited:
First check your SG - It might be done!

Raisins are really poor nutrients but better than nothing but add some weird flavors (Just my opinion). if you have some bread yeast laying around boil a couple tablespoons in a bit of water for a few minutes and drop that in. Dead yeast are much better nutrient, Then as you suggested warm it a bit 5 Deg F and stir it a couple times a day for a few days.

If none of that works and your SG is above where you want it then yes try adding some additional yeast. Consider starting some yeast in a small amount of must for 12 - 24 hours.

Back