Why is my cider not starting to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm159

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a bit of a beginner, so I'm looking for possible reasons why my cider has not taken off in the time it would normally take. I'll start with my process:

I'm doing two 6 gallons batches with the same cider. One will be just regular cider with some flavoring in secondary, the other a cyser. It's unfiltered. unpasteurized, straight up cider from a local orchard.

1. Cider
- Added 6 Campden tablets, then let sit for 24 hours.
- Took a gravity reading of 1.059
- I used Kveik Voss yeast. rehydrated as the packet said and it got pretty foamy and big.
- Aerated cider for maybe 10 minutes and added 1t yeast nutrient
- Cider was at 63 degrees when pitched. I pitched withing 5 degrees of both cider and yeast
- I then read Kveik likes it hot so i wrapped it in a heated blanket.
- Day 2 nothing (same sg reading)
- Day 3 nothing (same sg reading) cider was at 81 degrees. There were chunks floating on the surface that dissolved when stirred. (I'll attach a picture)

That's where I'm at with the cider. Not sure what could have gone wrong. Could it be the sediment from the cider takes all the yeast to the bottom of the carboy when stirred, or is that not an issue?

2. Cyser
- Similar to cider process in most ways. Used Lalvin 71b. Also, 6 pounds of wildflower honey to get a sg of 1.088.
- I have not taken gravity readings of this one yet. Still holding out hope it'll start chugging along

Let me know if you need any more information about my process! considering repitching yeast if there's still no signs of activity tomorrow. I would love to figure out what could have gone wrong so I appreciate any and all input! This is my first post on this forum. I've learned a lot from reading posts/threads. Pretty cool to be actually posting on it now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230103_221100853.jpg
    PXL_20230103_221100853.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I don't see anything wrong with your process. It looks like the yeast is starting to get going to me. It may have gotten off to a slow start for a few reasons.

1) Never used Kveik, but maybe 63 was too cold for it.
2) Maybe the yeast was bad to begin with. Check the expiration date. Or, sometimes if it isn't stored properly at some point, it may not be viable any more.
3) Maybe something went wrong in the rehydrating process. If the water is too hot you can kill the yeast. I've also seen warnings not to use distilled or reverse osmosis water for rehydration, as it decreases the yeast viability.

If you do decide to re-pitch, maybe try just sprinkling the dry yeast in the fermenter directly. I've never had an issue when doing it this way.

What is the source of the cider? Maybe it has preservatives in it. Ascorbic acid is fine, but anything that says sorbate, benzoate, or sulfite is bad news.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when cider is fermenting. If your airlock isn't working right, you might not notice. Compared to beer, there isn't any action on the surface to show that it's fermenting. When I check mine, I shine a flashlight into it so I can see the bubbles rising up the sides.

Today I actually do see some activity (bubbles coming up) pretty slowly. I think it's hour 60 or so. The cider is from a local orchard and all it says on the label is 100% apple juice, fresh pressed, nothing added. Not pasteurized, cold treated with UV light. I've used this cider before and it started actively fermenting somewhat late as well. After about 48 hours

I think the temp might be a factor like some of you said. When I pitched it was 63. I raised it to low 80s in the next day or so but maybe they weren't happy in that first bit of time it was heating up.

I guess I'll keep on the nutrient schedule and hope they keep picking up. Can this kind of long lag phase result in some off flavors?

Kveik produces it's characteristic flavors best under stress (Voss does anyway), so a slow start might produce some flavors but not necessarily "off."

Back