Muscat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farside

Reaction score
I just picked up muscat grapes for $10 per lug.

I have no idea how to work with this grape. Any tips?

I'm thinking full maceration ferment...

Hmm oxidation of white wine skins turns the wine orange/brown.

Maybe a cold soak and press before fermenting.

Ok well it's snowing lightly this evening so I figured it would be a perfect time to stand out there crushing grapes.

I'm going to go with Lalvin D47 yeast and I started it this evening with some grape must I drew off.

After pressing I'm going to use the pomace to make grappa.

I added 1.25kg of sugar and 7 liters of water to the pomace.

Then pitched Lalvin 1118 although I suspect it might be a dud sachet. When I rehydrated it the grains didn't really break up which I don't think is a good sign.

If nothing is going on in 24 hours I'll repitch.

A day later and there is activity in the pomace so that 1118 yeast seems to have taken hold.

I visited a friend today who is processing 20 cases of the same grapes. He's soaking them to get the dirt and pesticides off before processing which I probably should have done.

I processed mine in the dark and didn't really notice how dirty they were. The water after cleaning the grapes looks like weak tea. :-/

I can't answer your question about muscat grapes (last time we used them was in a zinfandel-muscat blend many years ago, and our notes are a bit spotty, and don't even mention if we were happy with how it came out!).

But I wouldn't worry too much about the grapes being dirty. We have never washed or soaked grapes, to no ill effect. In fact, I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't wash the grapes before crushing them.

Well the wine is still going strong but the wine on skins has significantly slowed which I'm happy about because it's getting tedious plunging the cap 3 times per day.

They are fermenting in the same space so I'm thinking it's the 1118 fermenting faster than the D47 at this temperature.

I do Muscat annually, we have 35 Muscat vines in our back yard. I get anywhere from 150-350lbs of fruit per year.
I've done 1118, 1116, 1122, and premiere cuvee yeasts, all made good product.
I love Muscat, fruity and floral wine.
I've never left them on skins, just crushed and pressed.
Maybe next year I'll do an experiment with that.

The Muscat wine from the juice is still going but the wine pomace ferment looked ready so I pressed it today. The pressing went really well and the cheeses coming out of the press were excellent.

Based on what I've read online I was expecting a slightly orange liquid with lots of astringent tannins from the seeds, skins, and the odd stem I missed.

To my surprise none of this is present. It's actually a very drinkable young wine, although lacking the acidity needed for aging.

So the good news is that this is a good young drinking wine. Bad news is that it's too good for brandy.

Here is a photo of the freshly pressed wine. The excess that didn't fit into the secondary anyway!

Attachments

• 20201018_170806.jpg
    20201018_170806.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 2
It could be the fermentation temperature. I did a slow cold ferment at under 15C / 60F. That tends to reduce the amount of astringent tannins extracted from the seeds.

Back