Unsweetened red grape juice concentrate or wine base for a pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny2

Reaction score
Ideas on how to source unsweetened wine base or grape juice concentrate for a pyment. I've only seen wine concentrates which have full amount of sugar in them or some cheaper base, while being unsweetened is a mix of grape, elderberry and apple. So, I'm not sure using a base like that would even count as a pyment. What do you think?

It would have to be available online in western or northern Europe and preferably in 1-3 liters

I can't help with a source, but wine kits with dehydrated wine juice can be an affordable way to make a pyment. Pyments are one of my favorite styles.
Like a wine, be prepared to allow aging time.

Last edited:
If you have space to keep the concentrate refrigerated, you can use a smaller amount of the concentrate to get your base wine mix and have more left for another try. I typically use about half of a wine kit, as here they make ~23L. I do half a wine must and another half mead must and add them together to get back to ~23L of fermentable must. Keeping it a pyment, my honey must is at least 51% of the total.

You could go real small, let's say 1.5L to 2L hydrated. Check its gravity. You can then make up an equal amount of mead must at a higher gravity and blend them together. I usually go larger with a pyment as I know that I will be sitting on it for a while to age and if I'm waiting, I want more product at the end of that wait... and I'll be tasting here and there while waiting.

Last edited:
I think I'll make one 10-12l batch with the concentrate and honey. It's possible with that magnum as it's low on sugar. Based on the number on that website, I would only need under 2kg of honey. Dropping ML culture as it finishes (malocid), but it's another thing I need to study more.

I can freeze the other half of the concentrate and use that as a base for a country wine later.

Latest posts

Back