Muntons Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_reaper1066

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Muntons Irish stout using only the malt extract and 1 kg of corn sugar, and although it tastes like a nice stout it still has that "apple" tast from the sugar and not as much body as Im used to with stouts.
I want to brew this again and was wondering how to give it more body. Should I add 1 kg of the Muntons dark spray malt extract in place of the corn sugar, or double up and use 2 cans of malt extract with nothing else?
Also, I know a lot of the syrup malt extract are advertised as no boil, but I have always boiled these in a gallon of water to dissolve and steralize the bulk corn sugar. Will the boil drive off any of the hops flavor or aroma in pre-hopped kits?

Not too tough to tell im still a newbie brewer even after using kits for years.

picked up a can for a quick brew and used one can with 1 lb of light DME for 2.5 - 3 gallons. the yeast didn't ferment as dry as I would have liked so is more of a sweeter stout but pretty good. boiled for 15. still needs time to age as it is only in the bottle for 2 weeks so should only improve. next time I need a fast brew for a stout will do this again but use s-04 or notty and add a little bit of ekg or fuggles to add a touch of flavor

I did a Cooper's Irish Stout with 3 lbs extra dark DME and 1 lbs corn sugar and it's awesome, seriously something I'd drink regularly without complaint. I'm not sure if they're that different but I figure they're pretty similar so maybe throw some extra dark in there next time to give it some oomph? Maybe that much corn sugar gave it a thinner cidery taste?

Also how long did it ferment and how long bottled? Maybe it's still just too young?

Primary fermentation was a week, then it sat in the secondary for longer then intended somewhere around 3-5 weeks at a cooler temperature (16-18 C). I bottled it before christmas and only opened the first one a week ago, unsure what to expect after leaving it in the secondary so long, but it turned out great. Good head retention and flavor, just wish it had more body.

Ive brewed this kit a few times, all with good results.
You can add 1kg of Muntons BKE instead of sugar, or...
Only make up to 30pts, or...
Use 1kg of dextrose instead of sugar.

Just bought one of these [Muntons Irish Stout] last weekend, and would like to use it as the base for a cream stout. Any thoughts on some specialty steeping grains? Or just go with the additional malt extract and some lactose?

Back