Muntons dry ale yeast... Yea or Ney?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
It's the cheapest stuff out there and available in every kit that includes yeast because of it. Anyone have good reasons on either side for or against this yeast?
I would like to know what you think because I thought I did not like this one and now I am not so sure and I want to see if anyone had some of the same issues I did.

The regular Muntons yeast is not recommended for fermenting beers made without simple sugars. Check out the Muntons web site. I'd spend a bit more and get a quality product from Fermentis or Danstar.

-a.

This is the default yeast in most of the ales at Midwest and do not use refined sugars as adjuncts. I used it in an Irish red extract kit and I have a friend who use it in an amber kit of theres. Both of our beers attenuated by the 3'rd day.
With that kind of runaway fermentation I did not think that the esters produced would ever diminish. The bubble gum and juicyfruit esters were bad at first but after around 3 weeks bottle conditioning it seems to have gone away and I am liking how it turned out. Did I just rush it?

I had a bad experience using it with a cider (dunno why I tried it in the first place), might be ok in a beer though if you use proper fermentation temp control.

If you're looking for a cheap dry yeast, I'd go with Nottingham.

I vote "No". Had one experience with it, coming in the extract kit I got with my starter homebrew kit. Never again.

I've used it twice. In my first brew ever, I made a 1.040 Pale Ale and that used liquid malt extract and some crystal malt. It finished at 1.010 and was a really tasty beer.

The second time I used it in an all grain Pale with a 1.052 and it finished a bit higher than I expected, 1.016. Even though 1.016 certainly wasn't crazy high, I pitched another yeast that dropped it another several points.

I might give it another chance next time I make a lower gravity batch.

It's really a no-name yeast, with poor attenuation. Use a better yeast if you have it available.

One point is that the packet is not enough yeast so you under pitch. I think people would have better luck with it by pitching 2 packets into a 5 gallon batch. Also seems like most uses of it are kit based extract batches so they generally need more love to get beyond that home brew taste. I have one old packet from an ESB kit that I used liquid yeast for and stuck the Muntons in the fridge. Must be 3 years old by now.

Im about to bottle a wee heavy next weekend pitched a packet of muntons gold(first time-using it)I think it was at its ex.date so i ended up using it on a big beer, im shure it will turn out fine.I went over my pitching rate a little using a calc. on purpose.

No one uses this on purpose. Seems like the only people using it got it in kits? I know there OS allot of other More specific stuff out there but dose anyone think this is good yeast to use on purpose and why?

I have used it twice. First time it came in a true brew kit that was my first brew. Second time was in a batch I threw together quickly, and it was all the local store had. That was a 2.5 gallon batch too.

I am using it again today, but I am just doing a small batch to see if I have stopped a point of infection.

I have had good results with it, and really have no complaints, but with that said I will never use it on a full 5 gallon batch that I want to turn out well based on other people's experience. I haven't heard any positive reviews on it. Just neutral or negative reviews.

I am all for going cheap, but yeast is not the place to do it. At least not through muntons. Buy some notty, or safale yeast, or just make a huge starter out of a liquid yeast and divide it up. Yeast can get down to a negligible expense if you use it properly. the yeast want to grow and multiply, so if you give them that oppurtunity they will supply you with more than enough

I will vote yes on Muntons Ale yeast. I have brewed 2 beers with the yeast and they have both turned out great. Both have been malty style beers and the yeast works excellent with them. It has a very clean flavor and provides a clean malt finish. The finishing gravity has been higher using this yeast and I would consider using a starter or at least pitching 2 packs on the 6+ abv beers. I will be using this yeast regularly. Hope this helps!

As samc said, you can under pitch with just one pack per 5 gallon batch. I brewed a 5 gallon batch Amber with an og of about 1.050. I used 2 packs and the beer turned out excellent. It's nice and clean with a touch of fruit. The nose is a little yeasty. It finished at about 1.005. It's such a cheap yeast that it isn't expensive to use 2. I would recommend.

This is the default yeast in most of the ales at Midwest

I would look to upgrade. The few times I ordered from Midwest, I upgraded to US-05 for $1 (a great price)-- the Muntons came along once, so I used it for yeast nutrient. tossed it in the boil at 5 min. Haven't brewed with it. But it has other uses.
Cheers.

I have used the standard yeast on several batches. It ferments quickly and drops out well. Keep it cool <65f and pretty low esters for an english yeast. One packet is under pitching for 5 gallons. I rehydrate two packets and pitch. Usually bubbling away in 4-6 hrs. It will dry out a low gravity wort <1.050 in a few days frequently <1.010 dropping clear a few days later. Choose a different yeast if you brew higher gravity beers it will leave them sweet. I keep a couple of packs as my back up yeast. I think the negative results for many is dry pitching a single dusty un-refridgerated packet that has been taped to a can of extract for who knows how long. Try that with any yeast and tell me how well it works.

Not sure about trying a whole 5 gallon batch? Ever over estimate water volumes and end up with extra wort? No? Well you're awesome. It happens to me. Put the extra wort in a gallon jug a dry pitch a packet of Muntons Standard and watch it make quick work. Then put it in the fridge and watch it drop out clear. Like I said I keep a couple of $1 packets as my back up yeast. You want a clean American style beer? Try US-05 it will do a better job.

Latest posts

Back