Multiple batches with one yeast packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytizzle

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of brews that I need to make. All of them are going to use the same yeast, Wyeast 1056. I see no need to buy 4 packs of the same yeast so I did some searching and found this link:

http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id45.html

Does this process seem acceptable? Basically, I would be:
1 - making a big starter
2 - let it ferment out
3 - split this between four different containers
4 - cool them in the refrigerator and store until ready to use
5 - then make a fresh starter for each one (appropriately sized for my brew based on mr. malty calculator) as needed, discard the "beer" off of the refrigerated yeast sample, and pitch it into my starter.

I haven't done this yet but I want to make sure I've got my process down. This is similar to washing and re-using a yeast cake, correct? I have a big flask coming today (5L) and just got my stir plate so I'm confident in my ability to make a starter now. Any helpd or advice is greatly appreciated!

Instead of doing it that way, I'd probably use the one package of S05 in the first batch. Let it sit for a week or so, rack, then harvest the yeast into three or four containers (following the "yeast washing illustrated" thread). That's what I do now, and it works great!

Not a bad call, Yooper. You'd prefer the S-05 instead of using the Wyeast 1056?

FWIW, I'm making your Citra IPA, a heavy hopped IIPA, and two Imperial Vanilla Stouts (same recipe, doing two batches). I should do the Citra first as the harvest yeast then use what I harvest for the other three as I am ready for them?

There is a yeast steeping chart that goes with mr. Malty. If you have 4 beers to make follow instructions for 4 billion. Place into refrigerator and let it settle out. Split that 4 ways. Using the chart step each one up to the specific beer needs ( let them warm to room temp ). I hope this made sense. BTW you don't need to change the yeast you plan to use, it will work fine. You could also use that chart to Make a huge starter and use that right after you split it up. Good luck.

I tried washing yeast after my first two brews and, while successful, felt that it was a major pain in the arse. Also, I was concerned about bringing unwanted flavors from the previous brew into my next one.

Since then, I've started splitting my starters. This way I always start out with clean yeast and it's much easier to estimate cell count and viability.

I use yeastcalc.com to determine the needed cell count for my upcoming brew, then make a starter step-up plan that yields 150% more cells than my brew calls for. After the last step, I cold crash, decant enough liquid to leave 24 oz. of total solution in the flask, swirl to get all yeast in suspension, then pour off 8 oz. into a sanitized 8 oz. mason jar, which will be saved in the fridge for a future brew. The remaining 16 oz. will contain all the cells needed to pitch. I then re-cold crash the flask until brew day, decant most of the remaining liquid, and pitch.

When I want to brew with that particular strain again, I pull out my mason jar and do it all over again. No muss, no fuss and no problems so far. IME, it's far less work than washing and I currently have 5 strains that I can draw from.

You could also just buy a couple packs of Nottingham ale yeast and use those for the stouts (I would prefer Notty over US-05 or 1056 for the stout, but either would work well), make a starter with the 1056 for the Citra IPA then keg it in 2 weeks, pour off most of the yeast hop residue (I notice the liquid hoppy resisdual beer after racking pours off easy leaving the compacted yeast at the bottom then pitch the very Hoppy IIPA on the remaining yeast cake.

6 bucks for the 2 packs of Notty to save lots of work and DME cost, plus not having to clean my carboy between the Citra IPA and IIPA would be well worth it for me, but I'm all about lazy brewing as long as the quality doesn't suffer.

I'm familiar with Notty and have used it quite a bit. Likely not a bad candidate at all. I guess I need to think about how I'm going to do this. Anybody else got any suggestions?

Back