Mr. Malty v. Homebrew_dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually start from a loop and use a 10 multiplier, until my last step before pitching, where I go with a 4X multiplier.

Trying to stay in brewing (another story) and wanted to do a sooner session, so got some WL002 that I just noticed by the date gives about 58% viability. I called my LHBS to see if they have any fresher packs, but this is the first time I've used Mr. Malty (per Chris/Jamil's book). I usually go to BrewDad if I'm not using the above multiplier regime. I was blown away by the different requirements they throw out.

Granted, BrewDad is based on a stepped starter and I can't do that on Mr. Malty; and I can't see any fields on Mr. Malty, obviously, to see how it arrives at its recommendation. But for an 11.5 g batch at 1.058 with yeast at 58% viability, Mr. Malty calls for 2 packs, and 10.5 liters. I actually don't know if it requires more, because the slide stops at that point, even if I push it all the way right.

By contrast, Homebrew_dad shows 1 pack at this viability, 2 liters, and then 1.25 liters for the second step, and that's it (even with step 2's crazy high inoculation rate).

The yeast book shows 2 packs at 4 L starter, or 1 pack at 9 L, for the numbers of cells I roughly need. (The table has its presumptions).

Thoughts?

I use this calculator: http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

If you use the Stirplate option for K Troester it says you can make a starter that is one step of 2.9 liters.

MrMalty is said to be quite conservative. It asks tor a big starter.

I have also heard that viability calculations err on the low side so you may have more viable yeast that you think.

I use this calculator: http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

If you use the Stirplate option for K Troester it says you can make a starter that is one step of 2.9 liters.

MrMalty is said to be quite conservative. It asks tor a big starter.

I have also heard that viability calculations err on the low side so you may have more viable yeast that you think.

Great, very helpful, thanks Kh. I really respect Kai so I'll take a look, too, wasn't aware of that calculator. The viability actually, I got directly from White Labs - called them. I figured the decay was non-linear so had no idea where I was, and that's what she said, too. So I don't know how to fashion a curve without just measuring but I don't have a microscope, etc. Anyway, she gave me 56-58%.

Maybe throw a pack of Windsor in there.

I have to probably get permission from the Royal Secretary first.

1200px-Badge_of_the_House_of_Windsor.svg.png

Latest posts

Back