Quantcast

Mr. Malty pitching calc- Noob question!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Thumper

Reaction score
All right, I have another noob question about using Mr. Malty pitching calc. I was look at it today (thanks to all who have posted that link before). I am going to do a 2.5 gallon batch of Belgian White. When I select beer type from the drop down menu on Mr. Malty there are only 3 choices. Ale, Hybrid, and Lager. What should I use for a Wit? I am going to use WL400 yeast and I plan on making a starter (my first try with liquid yeast) for experience. I think that one vial would be enough without a starter, but I am not sure. I am just trying to learn and have myself a little confused after visiting Mr. Malty and White Labs web sites.

Thanks,
Stan

OP
T

Thumper

Reaction score
Thank you Kryolla,
I figured it would be the ale, but want to double check. It looks like I could pitch one vial without a starter, but I am going to make a starter anyway.

Bob

Reaction score
Choose "Ale". Then input your calculated OG and batch size. That should give you all the info you need.

Given that an Activator XL smack-pack and a WL vial both contain on average 100 billion cells, just pitching the vial is all right up to OG ~1.058.

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts