Moving yeast from one jar to another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iadtyjwu

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the answer to this question. Can I move yeast from a larger jar into a smaller jar once it's been put into the fridge? If so how?

I've recently tried my hand at washing yeast. I followed all of the steps & came up w/ four nice jars of yeast. I wanted to move these into four smaller jars, but I have not found a thread discussing this. If I clean & sanitize four smaller jars, can I pour off most of the clear liquid, swirl around about 6 oz to mix up yeast, then pour into the sanitized smaller jars?

Has anyone done this?

Yep, you pretty much got it. Just sanitize the new jars and decant most of liquid, but not all of it. Use the remaining liquid to squirl around and make a slurry from the yeast and then pour into the new jars. If you don't make a slurry, you'll have a hard time getting the yeast out of the old jar.

Latest posts

Back