Moving, Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieJ

Reaction score
I have a well established hops crown in the back yard.

My wife and I are moving and I would like to take some of it with us. I will be in Limbo this winter, what do you recommend I do?

Can I dig a Rhizome and keep it refrigerated, maybe put it in a pot? I will most likely take 5 or 10 pieces to ensure some of them make it. I have taken 20+ rhizomes off this plant for regeneration in the past 2 springs and they have done pretty well. I've never dug in the fall.

Please help...

Dig up the crown and try to keep some of the longer lateral roots intact. Bury the crown in a large 5-10 gallon bucket or planter pot filled with potting soil. Keep it damp throughout the winter and in a garage/basement. Meaning, the soil shouldn't be dry, but not totally drenched. Replant in the spring. I've done this a few times over the years before settling down and it worked fine.

Thanks for the tip. I should mention, this crown is underneath a rose bush, probbaly why the plant was still here when i bought the house. The buyers are brewers and are excited about the plant being here.

would it be possible to use your method with just rhizomes?

I have a well established hops crown in the back yard.

My wife and I are moving and I would like to take some of it with us. I will be in Limbo this winter, what do you recommend I do?

Can I dig a Rhizome and keep it refrigerated, maybe put it in a pot? I will most likely take 5 or 10 pieces to ensure some of them make it. I have taken 20+ rhizomes off this plant for regeneration in the past 2 springs and they have done pretty well. I've never dug in the fall.

Please help...

By limbo, what do you mean? If you can take a few chunks of rhizome and bury them somewhere, anywhere, this fall, you can be sure they will have done some rooting by the time the soil freezes and can dig them up next spring to move to your desired location. I found some wild ones growing in a hedgerow back in 1986 and did this exact thing and the obsession is still here today! You'll be fine whatever you decide to do.

Thanks, By Limbo, I mean I will be renting from November until I find work half way across the country. It could be one month, It could be 8. I think the pot of dirt method might be best. I will be flying to the area I eventually plan on moving during the second week of November. I may try to wrap some rhizomes in paper towel and just stick them in the ground out there at the farm.

Given your situation, I think your best bet is to clip rhizomes now. Put them in small pots/buckets with potting soil and keep them moist over the winter.

I have a dozen mature varieties and clean up roots every spring, so let me know if you need some rhizomes.

Latest posts

Back