Mountmellick Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
So I am in a pinch, I need to have a beer bottled and ready to drink in 3 weeks. I have made this beer before with great luck and is manageable to do on a work night since it has basically no clean up. I am thinking that since it is pre-hopped that I could let it sit in primary for 7 days, then bottle giving it 2 weeks to condition and serve for my bosses party on the 17th.

I'm am thinking with no hops or grain there will be no need for a secondary fermentation, the yeast will settle enough and the rest can clear in the bottle

http://www.homebrewing.org/Mountmellick-Irish-Stout_p_1455.html

I think you might be pushing the timeline. 7 days is possible for the fermentation, but it could easily take longer. I also feel that bottling for 2 weeks is generally premature, as a third week or more tends to lead to better flavors. That's my opinion on it.

Unfortunately I agree with you, I ended up telling them next year. I would rather wait a year and give them a good beer them push one that could end up leaving a bad impression

If you do it as described, you will end up having a decent brew, similar to Murphy's Stout, but by adding a few more ingredients, like oatmeal, and an extra week for conditioning you will have a much better brew.

no reason to secondary in this time frame..

make sure you use 2lbs of DME instead of the 2lbs of corn sugar they also suggest.

and really, you can never have too many hops.. adding more hop flavor might make your beer stand up better to conditions that are not ideal (like not having enough time)

Latest posts

Back