Motorized Grain Mill Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dordelli

Reaction score
So I have a Cereal Killer grain mill and want to motorize it. A friend gave me an electric motor pulled from a Ryobi Band Saw (model BS901). It has no markings anywhere showing it's specs. He says he thinks it's 1/2hp and 1725rpm. The specs of this saw state that it draws 2.1amps and operates at 2900SFPM, maybe this helps to tell me power and rpms but not sure. To me it looks smaller then 1/2hp's I've seen on ebay but I'd like to give it a go and try hooking it up directly using a gear reducer but have a couple questions.

1st question how do I know if it has a capacitor, it has a 3" long rounded rectangle hump on the side, is that a cap?

2nd this motor has 3 wires, white, black and green. Will I be able to hook it up to be reversible and do I need reverse?

3rd question, will adding a 10:1 gear reducer give more torque if the motor is indeed underpowered?

I do understand the sheaves/pulleys would be a cheaper option but I have a 4yr old boy that touches everything, especially switches.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398361248.215565.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

On the gear reducer, yup wasn't sure about that part working easily and I have not found a bolt on reducer with a 1/2" input shaft either. I could use a Reducer with two male type shafts, but then would be stuck buying two Love Coupling sets also and increasing the costs?

So maybe I am better off with a pulley type setup, just figured if the gear reducer not only provided safety but increased the torque, it was the better route.

On the gear reducer, yup wasn't sure about that part working easily and I have not found a bolt on reducer with a 1/2" input shaft either. I could use a Reducer with two male type shafts, but then would be stuck buying two Love Coupling sets also and increasing the costs?

So maybe I am better off with a pulley type setup, just figured if the gear reducer not only provided safety but increased the torque, it was the better route.

It's probably less than 1/4 HP @ 2.1 amps, must have been a small band saw. The torque is what you need for grain mills, not the speed. The recommended speed is 100-200 rpm, so 10:1 reduction would be good, and typical of what people do with pulleys.

I'm running a garage door opener motor in mine at about 140 rpm, and it works very nicely. Probably similar power to what you have, with built in reduction. Surplus Supply had a bunch of these until they showed up here, then they were wiped out promptly.

Will I have issues even installing a pulley system on this motor based on the type of shaft it has? Most of the motors I see on ebay have a keyed type part that sticks out as opposed to the shaft on this motor that has a flattened section.

Slightly a change of topic, but really want to bypass the pulley setup. I found this Bodine motor on ebay. Specs look good but the RPM's at 140 might be a little low. Any thoughts on this motor from the experts here?

$_57.jpg

It's looks to be a dual speed 140/170 either of which is fine. Is it a gear reduction motor? The torque is what you need.

Slightly a change of topic, but really want to bypass the pulley setup. I found this Bodine motor on ebay. Specs look good but the RPM's at 140 might be a little low. Any thoughts on this motor from the experts here?

Looks like a gear-reduction motor. The placard says 10:1 ratio, so it's probably internally geared down from 1725RPM.

Sweet find, BTW. You can use it as-is, and won't need to use pulleys or a gearbox. 140/170 RPM should work fine with a mill.

my mill turns at 65 RPM, this one will be fine!

Back