Motor for Barley Crusher???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
The motor I intended to buy to motorize my mill is no longer available... and I really wanted to spend under $60 for it. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Cheers!

This isn't much help if you're in a hurry, but local classifieds like craigslist can be good. I bought a very lightly used furnace blower motor for mine for $20.

Try the local scrap yard. I picked up a 1725 RPM, 1/4 horse for 3 bucks. You might have to dig through a pile of used motors, but you can't beat the price. Oil it once a year, and if it ever fails, sell it back as scrap and buy another one.

Haha, no worries. I'm realizing part of the problem is I really don't know what to look for in a motor. I know I want it to be inexpensive, and I've heard it needs to have a "capacitor," but I simply don't know motors well enough (or at all) to decipher which would work...

I just did an eBay search for "1/2 hp motor," which produced what appears to be some good looking options for under $40... then the realization hit me again, "what the hell am I looking for, anyway?"

Any help? Perhaps someone who knows motors could tell me the specs I really need (hp, torque, etc), or even do a quick eBay search and post some links? That'd be rad!

Cheers!

EDIT: The place I was originally going to buy the new motor was www.surpluscenter.com... I was going to do a similar build as

Last edited by a moderator:
BrightSpot said:
Haha, no worries. I'm realizing part of the problem is I really don't know what to look for in a motor. I know I want it to be inexpensive, and I've heard it needs to have a "capacitor," but I simply don't know motors well enough (or at all) to decipher which would work...

I just did an eBay search for "1/2 hp motor," which produced what appears to be some good looking options for under $40... then the realization hit me again, "what the hell am I looking for, anyway?"

Any help? Perhaps someone who knows motors could tell me the specs I really need (hp, torque, etc), or even do a quick eBay search and post some links? That'd be rad!

Cheers!

EDIT: The place I was originally going to buy the new motor was www.surpluscenter.com... I was going to do a similar build as Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbhE5NltDo

You need a 110 volt motor that spins at ~1750 rpms. Preferably reversible, but not necessary. I did did not need a capacitator, but I don't start my mill with grain in it. I got my motor for dirt cheap via Craigslist, the other parts grainger could supply and match most eBay prices, but I didn't really hold out for a cheap ebayer, I was in a hurry. The pulleys linked need to be pressed on technically, but I used a hammer, just ran 50 pounds of it through my mill this weekend, worked fine.

I also use a Hitachi Koki two speed LiIon drill for my barley crusher. The low speed is perfect and I keep one extra battery charged up. Downside is you're holding the trigger down. I typically grind 36lbs of grain on each brew and it's never been an issue.

You need a 110 volt motor that spins at ~1750 rpms. Preferably reversible, but not necessary. I did did not need a capacitator, but I don't start my mill with grain in it. I got my motor for dirt cheap via Craigslist, the other parts grainger could supply and match most eBay prices, but I didn't really hold out for a cheap ebayer, I was in a hurry. The pulleys linked need to be pressed on technically, but I used a hammer, just ran 50 pounds of it through my mill this weekend, worked fine.

+1, If you can find a good deal on one that's great, but you don't need a capacitor motor. Mine is a 110v 1/4 HP 1725rpm furnace motor, no capacitor. Depending on how you design it you might be able to start it while loaded with grain. Mine is able to start with about 12 pounds of grain as I found out last weekend. Worse case is you start it first then fill the hopper.

gm2small.jpg

For those of you using a pulley system on your Barley Crushers, do you worry about all the strain on the bushings on the mill, and if it would be covered under your warrenty?

For those of you using a pulley system on your Barley Crushers, do you worry about all the strain on the bushings on the mill, and if it would be covered under your warrenty?

I was a bit worried about that and was toying with the idea of adding a pillow block bearing. This was before I actually received my mill. After I got it I saw it was pretty heavy duty. My sheave is mounted close to the mill and I don't have an excessive amount of tension on the belt, so I'm not worried.

I was a bit worried about that and was toying with the idea of adding a pillow block bearing. This was before I actually received my mill. After I got it I saw it was pretty heavy duty. My sheave is mounted close to the mill and I don't have an excessive amount of tension on the belt, so I'm not worried.

/\ This. Also, barley crushers tend to have problems down the road whether you motorize or hand crank.

To OP. Here's a link on motorizing mills that has everything you need to know. It's the resource I used when I motorized mine. And as already mentioned, the capacitor is unneccesary. I fill my hopper and then turn on the motor. Once you figure out what you want, check the scrap yard first and spend the extra money on a sack of grain.

http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon/brew/Education/Motorizing a Mill.pdf

boo boo said:

From what I've heard of their customer service as of late I wouldn't hold my breath if it breaks with the hand crank.

Oh, I guess I should point out, mine is actually a Crank and Stein mill, but it seemed like all of them are very similar with only a few very minor differences.

BrightSpot said:
I want to go direct drive, no pulleys

Good luck. Most motors that have been used are no longer available. Most I found were over 100

I'm going to be coming into A LOT of used furnace 1/2 hp and 3/4 hp 110 volt blower motors. I'll test all of them for functionality before selling. If interested, pm me.

Latest posts

Back