Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. You voted for Zero twice. You just seem to lose something with that going for you. Anyway, it isn't important. It is Election Day!

:rolleyes:

Seems like you know more about me than anyone is willing to find out about you. I guess you're at an "advantage".

Definitely the "when are you opening a brewery?" line...like it's so easy to transition from hb set-ups to the big time equipment, and of course wouldn't be expensive or anything...:smack:

one response i hate when someone learns im a homebrewer is they automatically assume i am an alcoholic....i mean i am but still;) they dont know that i make better beer then they buy

I usually get that once I tell them I brew 5 gallons at a time. The response is something like, "What on earth do you do with five gallons of beer?"

So yeah, they think I'm a raging alcoholic. :cross:

I usually get that once I tell them I brew 5 gallons at a time. The response is something like, "What on earth do you do with five gallons of beer?"

So yeah, they think I'm a raging alcoholic. :cross:

When people say that I remind them that 5 gallons is about 2 cases. 2 cases made over the course of about a month will potentially put it in perspective for them.

When people say that I remind them that 5 gallons is about 2 cases. 2 cases made over the course of about a month will potentially put it in perspective for them.

But then what about when you've got a pipeline and have 20+ gallons in some form of fermentation process at any given time?

The term alcoholic gets thrown around way to loosely. If you ask somebody who doesn't drink we're all alcoholics. But in all reality there's a huge difference between someone who likes to have a couple beers and someone who gets **** faced drunk everyday.

The term alcoholic gets thrown around way to loosely. If you ask somebody who doesn't drink we're all alcoholics. But in all reality there's a huge difference between someone who likes to have a couple beers and someone who gets **** faced drunk everyday.

I wouldn't say you need to get destroyed everyday to be an alcoholic. I look at it more from a need standpoint. If you have to have your 2-4 beers every single day and cant go without them i would saw you are still an alcoholic.

I wouldn't say you need to get destroyed everyday to be an alcoholic. I look at it more from a need standpoint. If you have to have your 2-4 beers every single day and cant go without them i would saw you are still an alcoholic.

that is the distinction, not the quantity.

I wasn't implying that someone has to be a drunk to be an alcoholic. I get the addiction of it. Not every alcoholic is a drunk though. In this kind of community we all can differentiate between what is and what's not an alcoholic. I know people that think if you tie one on at all your a drunk, or if you drink a couple times a week, or a couple times a year that you're an alcoholic. That's what I meant by it gets thrown around loosely by people.

I suspect it's better to let people label themselves and not label others.

I had told a co-worker several weeks back that I was transitioning from 5 to 10 gallon batches. Of course, in her mind, that was an unbelievably large quantity until I explained that it's really only about 4 cases.

The other day I saw her and she gave me a conspiratorial wink and asked "How's the new still coming?"

1) is it like real beer?
2) why do you not just buy beer?
3) The police are ok with you brewing?

I take my earlier post back. Today I heard this:
"I don't like this beer, its got too much hops for me"
Me: huh this is a hefe, its barely got any hops at all..
"Well then why's it all hopping around my mouth?"
Me: umm I don't even...
How the f**k do you confuse hops with carbonation??? Does she think soda is hoppy?

I know I've said it before (probably a few times), but I think it needs a mention every 20 pages or so: "You do know there's these places called stores that actually sell beer that's already been made, right?" whhaaaattt?!?! ohmahflerkinglob! and all this time I've been doin' it the hard way because I didn't think people were smart enough to capitalize on something other people enjoy!

Here in Estonia we have something called "homebeer" (translation for homebrew). It is an ancient/local kind of beer what peasants and old people have made for centuries. Most of the components are non-specific(eg. bakers yeast, homecooked malt) and it is usually fermented without an airlock(air has access to beer). That stuff tastes very earthy, estery and has zero clarity, also it has no hops.

So the most frequent question is 'does it taste like "homebeer"?'. And this happens often after I have told them about the complex setup and components I use.

I hate when I tell people I'm a homebrewer and they are all "uh... have we met? Why are you telling me this? Who are you?"

Jerks.

You were in that video with the woman getting catcalled on the street in NYC, weren't you?

"Good morning beautiful. How you doin'?"
"Dayyyyum girl!"
"Hey, I'm a homebrewer. Wanna try some okra mead? No...that's not a euphemism. Wait, where are you going? Don't call the cops! "

1415817227259.jpg

I don't have an issue with this. If the conversation is swinging to beer, I always ask what they drink. Around my way it's usually BL, Natty light, Landshark, etc.. At that point I go with drinking stories unless their response is interesting like Keystone. Still trying to figure out why folks like this crap. But, if it's a craft beer, I'll mention I brew.

Had a guy try to explain to me why he didn't like craft beer. "They don't use the same brewing process a real brewery…" smh
Me: you're a special kind of stupid aren't you (In my head). Tell me then what differentiates the two?

Them: well I'm not sure but I know they don't use the same kind of ingredients.

Me: oh, what ingredients do they use at pbr?

Them: I don't know but I do know that the process is totally different.

Me: so, what's the lautering/mash process then?

Them: I don't know it's just different

Me: you're an asshat

I will never understand why. People are brainwashed to think that every beer should taste like a light adjunct lager. And if it doesn't, there is something wrong with their brewing process.

I will never understand why. People are brainwashed to think that every beer should taste like a light adjunct lager. And if it doesn't, there is something wrong with their brewing process.

BMC wouldn't literally spend more than a billion dollars on advertising, year after year after year, if it didn't work...

Latest posts

Back