Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you know i did not intend to make a BMC love/hate thread..but BMC is just industrial beer aimed to make money(great for them) bland, boring, no character beer(bad for us)..and i really dont know why people think it is good quality..I mean it has a lower score then god damn old english 800 on rate beer..is old E good people? they sell a whole lot of it..it must be good then..either way i try not to hate on anyone or anything i just wanted to know what technique was used to produce such a bland product..cause as a homebrewer i can drop 1 grain into a cup of hot water and have more malt presence then a bud...whatever people want to drink fine with me..they can drink ram piss if they want

Jeffery Dahmer's folks did not intend for their baby to be a monster, s*** happens out of our control from time to time.

BMC is just industrial beer aimed to make money(great for them) bland, boring, no character beer(bad for us)

BMC making money can be "great for you," too. AB-Inbev is a publicly traded company. Just buy their stock. I personally own thousands of dollars' worth of AB-Inbev stock, but I rarely buy their beer. However, on those occasions when I would like a beer, and the only options are bland, yellow fizzy ones, I can buy a AB-Inbev product and tell myself, "at least I'm helping my retirement portfolio a little bit."

I love hearing about how successful AB-Inbev is, or seeing that they're trying new marketing campaigns/gimmicks (even if they're lame - the point is they're trying), or bought out another craft brewer (just keep that dividend coming, boys). I just prefer not to drink their particular beer, given a choice between that and something with more flavour.

I have co-workers now that friended me on FB and wasn't aware I made beer. And the first thing they ask me is, "What does it taste like" ? "Is it any good"? They are still under the impression that we make this stuff in bathtubs, they have no clue about our equipment, sanitation, etc.

did you actually read my post or just skim though it? did you read the thread I posted the link for that was referencing what I was saying, or just ignoring it? my point was mediocrity, not just beer. and if you read the thread, I was using McDonalds as a point of comparison. and as I stated: I don't have a problem with big companies or corporations. I know I mentioned them in a point of mediocre products, not because they are mass produced. again, read the thread I was referencing. and actually read and try to comprehend what I'm saying.

I was going to suggest that you read and try to comprehend what I was saying, but I thought it sounded rude. Oh well.

I didn't read that thread you linked, because I'm talking about what you said in THIS thread. I'm not responding to your entire word view, just what you said here. What you said here equated products you don't like and companies you don't like.

If you're really talking about bland products, why mention big companies????

I have co-workers now that friended me on FB and wasn't aware I made beer. And the first thing they ask me is, "What does it taste like" ? "Is it any good"? They are still under the impression that we make this stuff in bathtubs, they have no clue about our equipment, sanitation, etc.

I hate that "is it good" question.. i tell them "No i just spend 5-6 hours to brew toilet swill that tastes like frumunder cheese"

I know I've said it before (probably a few times), but I think it needs a mention every 20 pages or so: "You do know there's these places called stores that actually sell beer that's already been made, right?" whhaaaattt?!?! ohmahflerkinglob! and all this time I've been doin' it the hard way because I didn't think people were smart enough to capitalize on something other people enjoy!

I would like to formally ask your permission to use:

"ohmahflerkinglob!"

In work related emails and in shop drawings.

Thanks.

I was going to suggest that you read and try to comprehend what I was saying, but I thought it sounded rude. Oh well.

I didn't read that thread you linked, because I'm talking about what you said in THIS thread. I'm not responding to your entire word view, just what you said here. What you said here equated products you don't like and companies you don't like.

hey Freud, why are you fixated on the "big companies" thing? and if you weren't paying attention, my post was referencing THAT THREAD! why is that so floccing hard to understand? you're not getting everything in context if you're bypassing the original reference. but you just stay glued to the "big companies" part. at this point you might lose me if you say something else.

hey Freud, why are you fixated on the "big companies" thing? and if you weren't paying attention, my post was referencing THAT THREAD! why is that so floccing hard to understand? you're not getting everything in context if you're bypassing the original reference. but you just stay glued to the "big companies" part. at this point you might lose me if you say something else.

Hey, Carl Jung, because your comments seem to equate big companies and beer you don't like (along with hamburgers you don't like). And my point was that the size of the company is irrelevant to the product. That kind of nonsense is the same as saying, "I hate bland beers made by companies with red in their logo, showing red everywhere." Irrelevant information, UNLESS it is important information about why you don't like the company.

I went and read that other thread. And just to be sure that we're clear on what exactly was being referenced, I responded to a post where you said:

"personally, I like using the stick because I'm an a-hole. I'm also a snob because I won't drink things I don't like nor pay homage to giant companies mass producing things I don't like."

At least we can agree on the first sentence. But how is that referencing another thread?

Why am I wasting my time with this???

Hey, Carl Jung, because your comments seem to equate big companies and beer you don't like (along with hamburgers you don't like). And my point was that the size of the company is irrelevant to the product. That kind of nonsense is the same as saying, "I hate bland beers made by companies with red in their logo, showing red everywhere." Irrelevant information, UNLESS it is important information about why you don't like the company.

I went and read that other thread. And just to be sure that we're clear on what exactly was being referenced, I responded to a post where you said:

"personally, I like using the stick because I'm an a-hole. I'm also a snob because I won't drink things I don't like nor pay homage to giant companies mass producing things I don't like."

At least we can agree on the first sentence. But how is that referencing another thread?

yes, why are you? but you obviously didn't read the whole thing you you don't get the reference. I was being sarcastic (if you can get that). the reference, my little sugar plum, was to the comment that BMC is great beer done very well because of the consistency of the product and how well the company is doing. and to every other thread where someone states that they don't like BMC for (insert reason here) and about a dozen people jump up in arms defending the BMCs with "consistency", "sales", and "it has its' time and place". then someone always seems to throw the "you brew it without any flaws!" crap. that would be like me making mushroom gravy as I dislike mushrooms and gravy. get the point yet?

I have read a lot of both threads. Billy-klubb was saying that specific phrase because people were defending bmc because of their ability to maintain consistency over such a large company. There was also a defence that millions of people do buy the beer so it can't be that terrible. And he directly addressed your critique by saying what companies he did like that were large corporations. I don't typically defend billy because he is very brash and somewhat offensive (as he wants to be I am sure) but your critique clearly ignored an important qualifier: "things I don't like." In light of that qualifier and his list of big companies he likes I think it was obvious he has no issue with large corporations or corporatism in general.

I have read a lot of both threads. Billy-klubb was saying that specific phrase because people were defending bmc because of their ability to maintain consistency over such a large company. There was also a defence that millions of people do buy the beer so it can't be that terrible. And he directly addressed your critique by saying what companies he did like that were large corporations. I don't typically defend billy because he is very brash and somewhat offensive (as he wants to be I am sure) but your critique clearly ignored an important qualifier: "things I don't like." In light of that qualifier and his list of big companies he likes I think it was obvious he has no issue with large corporations or corporatism in general.

thank you. I'm not particularly great with using vocabulary to get my point across and had always resorted to s*** talking and violence. perhaps elegance and diplomacy should have been something I learned in youth instead of anger and berry punching.
edit:just because I don't necessarily agree with some of you on any subject doesn't mean I wouldn't sit down with a beer with any of you either. I think beer in general is something every last one of us has in common.

back on thread topic:
"I don't like fancy beer. I like real beer." that usually comes out after I tell them I don't make anything like Bud Light or Keystone Light.

Kinda like the two guys at Walmart that time, bought the coors light because it was " the safe kind". I bought the craft ales because, It seems, my nads are bigger...:ban:

The only people I've been genuinely annoyed with are the fellow hobbyists that immediately respond with, "Do you keg?".

No. I don't. I'm still learning. Do you even lift bro? I hope so, because you're annoying the funk out of me and I have a lot of pent up aggression from staring at a computer all week and this beer is making me froggy.

I've been staring at a funked up computer for a week or more. Takes me a couple hours every morning to get the thing past the "starting windows" screen. Starting to get a little punch drunk I guess...:drunk:

yes, why are you? but you obviously didn't read the whole thing you you don't get the reference. I was being sarcastic (if you can get that). the reference, my little sugar plum, was to the comment that BMC is great beer done very well because of the consistency of the product and how well the company is doing. and to every other thread where someone states that they don't like BMC for (insert reason here) and about a dozen people jump up in arms defending the BMCs with "consistency", "sales", and "it has its' time and place". then someone always seems to throw the "you brew it without any flaws!" crap. that would be like me making mushroom gravy as I dislike mushrooms and gravy. get the point yet?

thank you. I'm not particularly great with using vocabulary to get my point across and had always resorted to s*** talking and violence. perhaps elegance and diplomacy should have been something I learned in youth instead of anger and berry punching.
edit:just because I don't necessarily agree with some of you on any subject doesn't mean I wouldn't sit down with a beer with any of you either. I think beer in general is something every last one of us has in common.

back on thread topic:
"I don't like fancy beer. I like real beer." that usually comes out after I tell them I don't make anything like Bud Light or Keystone Light.

<munching popcorn>
Mmmm, drama! The only thing that would make it better is an ice cold Bud Lite in a frosty mug!:cross:

"Why would you brew your own beer when can get MGD for ~$5.00 a 6 pack?"

I have been asked this on numerous occasions, the only thing that changes is the person asking and the beer of their choice.

I've been staring at a funked up computer for a week or more. Takes me a couple hours every morning to get the thing past the "starting windows" screen. Starting to get a little punch drunk I guess...:drunk:

Oh yeah. I'm the only one in the office that doesn't have a brand-new computer. Also the only one that has minimum 5 technical drawings, 3 vendor websites, HBT and a 3D modeling program open at once. The rest of them likely average constant use of youtube and facebook; maybe a microsoft word document here or there.

Takes my computer an hour to warm up and then if you don't restart it every six hours or so, she gets real tired.

"If I bring a growler can you fill it up?"

I'm always glad to share my beer, but most people don't seem to understand that it still costs me money to make it.

Oh yeah. I'm the only one in the office that doesn't have a brand-new computer. Also the only one that has minimum 5 technical drawings, 3 vendor websites, HBT and a 3D modeling program open at once. The rest of them likely average constant use of youtube and facebook; maybe a microsoft word document here or there.

[OT]
Dude, why are you doing that to yourself? It's 2014, hardware is practically free. Take $500 and get yourself a nice quad-core machine with 8 GB of RAM, an SSD OS drive, and a fresh OS install and see what you've been missing.

I have an SSD main drive in both of my machines at home. It takes longer to get past the POST screen (10-15 seconds) than it does to boot into Windows (another 10 seconds). Once I'm in, programs start in the blink of an eye. I click the [insert_any_software_program] shortcut and it's like it was already running and I just switched to it.
[/OT]

[OT]
Dude, why are you doing that to yourself? It's 2014, hardware is practically free. Take $500 and get yourself a nice quad-core machine with 8 GB of RAM, an SSD OS drive, and a fresh OS install and see what you've been missing.

I have an SSD main drive in both of my machines at home. It takes longer to get past the POST screen (10-15 seconds) than it does to boot into Windows (another 10 seconds). Once I'm in, programs start in the blink of an eye. I click the [insert_any_software_program] shortcut and it's like it was already running and I just switched to it.
[/OT]

I built my own PC at home that I use for my real love of marrying architecture/greenspace. Not going to buy another one for the company that pays so little. This old girl is about to die I'm sure. I'll just stress it and run her into the ground.

Me: I brew my own beer. It's a hobby, an obsession, and no matter how much you learn, or how many brews are under your belt, there's still a vast ocean of knowledge out there. Take this nut brown, for example. A seemingly simple combination of grains, water, hops, temperature, and time made this miracle. This is my seventh one this afternoon and I still marvel at the magic that is the science behind it. Would you like to try one?

Most annoying response: ....Step out of the car please, sir.

[OT]

[/OT]

Being retired with a big mortgage = broke. Can't afford anything, or I'd have mirrored my hard drive to a 3 gig external. Computer Crisis downloaded the windows 7 for me, but no hard copy. Mine is a dual core with 1.8 Ghz each. Damn hackers. I had to blow more $$ for the new malware/etc programs he installed, but not before a total of 9 trojans attacked. This new security program is is very thorough. No place at all in the comp for them to hide anymore. Now anyway. I just wish whoever's doing this to me would realize it isn't funny...or cheap. I've spent some $800 in the last few months getting it fixed. If I'd have had that much to spend at once, I'd have just bought a quad core tower.:mug:

Takes my computer an hour to warm up and then if you don't restart it every six hours or so, she gets real tired.

It wouldn't be that hard to wreck that thing. Then they'd have to get you a new one, right?

Being an IT guy I will tell you a secret. If you are nice to us we return the favor. Bribe us a little with baked goods and/or home brew. Be a gracious 'customer' when you have a problem, get to know us by name but don't be needy. Be nice to us and usually we will hook you up.

Honestly. IT people are used to being treated like crap. If you are at least appreciative we will like you more and stuff will get done quicker. Think of your impression of an IT person, we are fighting that generalization, but do not expect much and passive aggressiveness is the only aggressiveness we are allowed.

/OT

Them - Oh you make your own beer? Cool, I know a guy who knows a guy who brews too.
Me (in my head) - <and???>

Back