Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it even more frustrating when a joke is HILARIOUS, but mean people don't get it.

;)

I've had a few moments of those. Usually classic song references that blend perfectly into the conversation, one or two target friends will get it. The others who are into the whole "new wave" and "hip hop" music that I don't fully understand have the look of pure confusion on their faces.

Example: One guys girlfriend holds him close and tells him "I love you." He steps back, looks her in the eye and says "You'd better." Two guys are dying of laughter, one guy is about to get slapped silly, and 3 bystanders have no clue what's going on.

One of the unsung benefits of BMC: it can repel muggers. :D

I work out of town, and keep a motor home parked in the back yard of a friend/landlord. It's about a five-minute walk from there to a liquor store/gas station, where I buy most of my booze. Late one evening on my way back, an idiot jumped out from behind some oleander bushes and yelled, "awright, Mo'fo'! Gimme yo...."

That's as far as he got. I was walking along swinging a 24-oz can of Bud in a plastic grocery bag (they were out of the little paper ones), and he popped up at the perfect moment for me to accelerate my swing and lay that can up alongside his head. As he dropped to his knees, I kicked him in the face. He made a weird sound, and just laid on down sideways.

I made sure he was breathing steadily and not bleeding too much, and headed on back to the motor home. I was tempted to take his little nickel-plated, Italian-looking toy with me, but decided no good could come of it....:) And I did drive instead of walk for a while, just in case he was the sort who would hold a grudge.

By the way, the beer was fine - even though the can was caved in on one side. I thumped the top a few times before pulling the tab, and it poured like a champ.

In NY, you would have been limited to a 7 ounce can.
In California, you use to be able to open carry the can, but now can only carry the can in a bag and go through a lengthy process to get a permit to carry the can (in the bag).
In Vermont, you can even have a fully automatic can.
In Texas, just about everyone body carries cans.

:mug:

One of the unsung benefits of BMC: it can repel muggers. :D

I work out of town, and keep a motor home parked in the back yard of a friend/landlord. It's about a five-minute walk from there to a liquor store/gas station, where I buy most of my booze. Late one evening on my way back, an idiot jumped out from behind some oleander bushes and yelled, "awright, Mo'fo'! Gimme yo...."

That's as far as he got. I was walking along swinging a 24-oz can of Bud in a plastic grocery bag (they were out of the little paper ones), and he popped up at the perfect moment for me to accelerate my swing and lay that can up alongside his head. As he dropped to his knees, I kicked him in the face. He made a weird sound, and just laid on down sideways.

I made sure he was breathing steadily and not bleeding too much, and headed on back to the motor home. I was tempted to take his little nickel-plated, Italian-looking toy with me, but decided no good could come of it....:) And I did drive instead of walk for a while, just in case he was the sort who would hold a grudge.

By the way, the beer was fine - even though the can was caved in on one side. I thumped the top a few times before pulling the tab, and it poured like a champ.

That is a great story. LOL good reflexes.

In NY, you would have been limited to a 7 ounce can.
In California, you use to be able to open carry the can, but now can only carry the can in a bag and go through a lengthy process to get a permit to carry the can (in the bag).
In Vermont, you can even have a fully automatic can.
In Texas, just about everyone body carries cans.

:mug:

As a man from Texas I approve this post

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"Yeah, I had one of your beers last time we met, and I got some terrible hangovers, so I'd rather not taste anything else you ever make."

Or maybe it was the twenty-seven other beers you had that night?

"Yeah, I had one of your beers last time we met, and I got some terrible hangovers, so I'd rather not taste anything else you ever make."

Or maybe it was the twenty-seven other beers you had that night?

I got another one of these yesterday: "won't that s*** kill you or make you go blind, if you screw it up?"

My cousins wife is convinced that homebrew will give you crones disease. Because someone she went to school with brewed beer and later died of crones disease

My dad makes wine and he's bald.
So him + hunter (assuming the pic in your avatar is you) = enough proof to conclude that homebrew makes you go bald.

[/logic]

And then I get this dumbfounded look when I tell her that we all brew beer using the same techniques and ingredients used to make that nasty assed michelob ultra your sucking down.

And then I get this dumbfounded look when I tell her that we all brew beer using the same techniques and ingredients used to make that nasty assed michelob ultra your sucking down.

I refuse to believe my beer has the same ingredients as Mich Ultra. No offense ☺

Most recently, I have been getting annoyed at fellow homebrewers when they treat my malt forward beers as if they are inferior to their hop bombs.

Why not both

I just kegged an Irish red I love for its maltyness, but wait there's more, and I dry hopped it with 3oz of fuggles. So it's like a RedPA. I call it the red headed slut. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408320588.342150.jpg

My cousins wife is convinced that homebrew will give you crones disease. Because someone she went to school with brewed beer and later died of crones disease

I have Crohns disease, and honestly after not brewing a ton over the past 3 months, I'm dealing with a lot mor pain and flares than when I was brewing a batch every week (and thusly drinking a case a week).

"So I heard that once you start drinking homebrew, that's all you'll ever want to drink after that. " Yes, because i brew my own beer, I've completely given up on all of the world class beers or there. Seriously?

"So I heard that once you start drinking homebrew, that's all you'll ever want to drink after that. " Yes, because i brew my own beer, I've completely given up on all of the world class beers or there. Seriously?

I can see where they are coming from. I hardly drink anything else unless I'm out and about with my buds. Which is less and less these days. And when I do go out, I'm finding harder and harder to find these world class beers that I keep hearing so much about. If it ain't BMC it's one of BMCs pretend micro brews. Neither of which I'm too fond of.

"I don't like dark beers." (Like all beers other than BMC are dark...sheesh)

Yeah, I think this is my least favorite. I still hear comments like this from friends who drink craft beer, and have at least a little knowledge on beers.

They come over and ask what I have on tap, then follow that with, "Is it dark?"

I've contemplated making something light and fruity, maybe like a Watermelon Wheat, but using Midnight Wheat to make it black as night, just to show them the absurdity.

Then again, I'm convinced they'd still say it tastes too dark. :drunk:

Yeah, I think this is my least favorite. I still hear comments like this from friends who drink craft beer, and have at least a little knowledge on beers.

I've contemplated making something light and fruity, maybe like a Watermelon Wheat, but using Midnight Wheat to make it black as night, just to show them the absurdity.

I will also throw this in, along the same lines:

Me: I made a really good sweet stout.

BMC Drinker: No thanks, I hate bitter beers.

SWMBO and I are experimenting with a recipe to really play with this kind of perception, but in the opposite direction - a Golden Stout, based on what little input we were able to glean from the Brew Dogs episode in Las Vegas. Gonna try a couple 1 gallon brews to figure out the right proportions, but I really want to get it right and spring it on someone who's convinced that they don't like dark beers. Show them how good a stout can be if it passes the "look test."

I've at least finally gotten my Dad to quit harping about "dark beers" - whenever he comes to visit, I think he looks forward to tasting whatever's on tap, regardless of what it may be, more than he looks forward to visiting with SWMBO and me!

Why not both

Because I don't really like over the top hop character anymore. It doesn't appeal to me much since brewing more of the malt focused beers. They annoy me when they scoff at a balanced beer like it is unacceptable to enjoy a beer that isn't overloaded with hops.

I kinda know what he means. Even though I will always buy a few beers and try new ones, it's harder to buy a 6-12 dollar bomber when my homebrew is excellent and cheaper.

SWMBO and I are experimenting with a recipe to really play with this kind of perception, but in the opposite direction - a Golden Stout, based on what little input we were able to glean from the Brew Dogs episode in Las Vegas. Gonna try a couple 1 gallon brews to figure out the right proportions, but I really want to get it right and spring it on someone who's convinced that they don't like dark beers. Show them how good a stout can be if it passes the "look test."

I've at least finally gotten my Dad to quit harping about "dark beers" - whenever he comes to visit, I think he looks forward to tasting whatever's on tap, regardless of what it may be, more than he looks forward to visiting with SWMBO and me!

Hey when you get the recipe dialed in I'd love to see it! I'm wanting to spring this on a few of my buddies who are comming around to like home brew!

I kinda know what he means. Even though I will always buy a few beers and try new ones, it's harder to buy a 6-12 dollar bomber when my homebrew is excellent and cheaper.
I hear that. I had some Boreal red not too long ago. Slightly before that I had a spectacular turn out with Orfy's Hobgoblin 2. Suddenly a beer that I enjoyed just a few years ago was plain and bland. Ruined it for me. Then I failed an increased size batch (thinking too high temps + underpitch) and wished that it turned out half as good as the Boreal. Learning curves can be unforgiving.

"Those craft beers are too heavy!"

What the hell is HEAVY? High ABV? Thick mouthfeel? Hoppy? "Oh, you mean to much flavor, integrity and no comprimise to quality! Yea, if I were so simple minded and brainwashed, all of that would seem "heavy" to me too!"

-sorry, I think ive been drinking too much Arogant Bastard.

Back