Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! My “garage freezer” is now in my basement and repurposed with 5 taps! [emoji1]
Nice! Our "extra refrigerator" is now my hops storage/lagering fridge. I did have to compromise and promise to buy an upright freezer, but I get the big chest freezer for my upcoming 8 tap keezer....

The other day, a woman came up to the bar to order a beer from me.

Her: “Hi I’d like a beer but I’m not a big fan of those IPA beers with all the hops. I like light and fruity.”

Me: “Oh sure we have a few things for ya. Here, try our new mango berliner weiss, it’s not hoppy at all.”
[This stuff literally tastes like sweet mango juice.]

Her: Oh! Gosh! Oh no, not that. That’s too hoppy for me!

*The beer is literally 2 IBU!!! [emoji25]
That’s below the actual flavor threshold for hops... smh.

After that I just told her to get wine.

You wouldn’t believe how often this happens...

any taste characteristic outside of BMC guidelines is "too hoppy!"

People blame everything on the hops. I was sitting in a micro brew and they had a sour on tap, the bartender (new to the industry) told the guest they used “sour hops” to get it that way.

It’s always the hops!

People blame everything on the hops. I was sitting in a micro brew and they had a sour on tap, the bartender (new to the industry) told the guest they used “sour hops” to get it that way.

It’s always the hops!
Hard to tell if the bartender was joking or not particularly knowledgeable. Either way where can I get my hands on those “sour hops”?

Hard to tell if the bartender was joking or not particularly knowledgeable. Either way where can I get my hands on those “sour hops”?

He wasn’t joking! I was a semi-regular there at the time and pulled him aside...!

It’s always the hops!

Some things never change. Years ago I was in a brewpub and the server told us that one of the beers was made with "those new, federally approved, high alcohol hops."

It's always the hops indeed!

I've run into people who think that hops is the only ingredient in beer! They are stunned to find out there is barley in there too.

Sour hops sounds like so BS marketing strategy a BMC company would use

"Not only do we triple filter and cold brew our lagers, we use only the finest soured hops to balance out the bitterness."
Plus the cans change color when they're cold!

Sour hops sounds like so BS marketing strategy a BMC company would use

"Not only do we triple filter and cold brew our lagers, we use only the finest soured hops to balance out the bitterness."
Plus the cans change color when they're cold!
@Cheesy_Goodness This was my first thought when I read that post.

My LHBS sucks. Never once saw high alcohol or sour hops. Must be a proprietary strain only available to BMC companies.

Seriously though, one of the good things about living in the Sacramento area is people tend to know beer...unless they’re pinky-out wine drinkers. Last visit to the local brewery there was a lady that was sampling tasters and kept saying “Its to hoppy, too bitter.” The bartender who is also a brew assistant asked her what she usually drank. She said wine. Without skipping a beat he said leaned in and told her “we have a special beer in back thats almost ready to tap that was aged in Chardonnay barrels. Would you like to try some?” Man, she was all over that! I’m sure next time I see her in there she’ll be commenting about the character and complexity of her NEIPA compared to a merlot. Dude sold it with those Chardonnay barrels!

@Cheesy_Goodness This was my first thought when I read that post.

My LHBS sucks. Never once saw high alcohol or sour hops. Must be a proprietary strain only available to BMC companies.

Seriously though, one of the good things about living in the Sacramento area is people tend to know beer...unless they’re pinky-out wine drinkers. Last visit to the local brewery there was a lady that was sampling tasters and kept saying “Its to hoppy, too bitter.” The bartender who is also a brew assistant asked her what she usually drank. She said wine. Without skipping a beat he said leaned in and told her “we have a special beer in back thats almost ready to tap that was aged in Chardonnay barrels. Would you like to try some?” Man, she was all over that! I’m sure next time I see her in there she’ll be commenting about the character and complexity of her NEIPA compared to a merlot. Dude sold it with those Chardonnay barrels!

i'm always amazed by wine drinkers. one recently told me she doesn't like hoppy beer b/c it tastes astringent and puckering on her tongue. i was like, uh, you know that red wine has a **** ton of astringency when aged on wood right? it's like the definition of astringent.

we all have a different set of tastes though and there is definitely truth in the idea of a shifting pallet or an acquired taste for something.

But with two adults we get 200 gallons. ;)
That would be 40 batches, or 80 cases, or 160 twelve packs, or 320 six packs a year.

Bet that they would have no concept of how much beer it would take to be come illegal.

But who's keeping track? It could be 400 if you wanted it to be that and it would still not be on anybody's radar.

I think if you bought all your grain at once for the year. (Edit: it may draw someone's attention) as a bulk spot buy. Assume 10 pounds per batch, you'd need 400 lbs of grain or 8, 55 lb bags of grain.

Imagine your neighbors look on their face when a truck from Briess pulls up to unload.

[emoji481]
P1030943.jpeg

Last edited:
I think if you bought all your grain at once for the year. Maybe as a bulk spot buy. Assume 10 pounds per batch, you'd need 400 lbs of grain or 8, 55 lb bags of grain.

That's easy. I've got a buddy who brews, and we're doing a bulk buy.

Really.

I'm not kidding.

My last order, a couple of months ago, was about 180 pounds of grain. One bag of 50# of 2-Row, a couple 55# bags of Maris Otter, some specialty grains, crystal, chocolate malt and chocolate wheat, some Munich--like that.

But not all for me. Most of it, but not all. :)

That's easy. I've got a buddy who brews, and we're doing a bulk buy.

Really.

I'm not kidding.

My last order, a couple of months ago, was about 180 pounds of grain. One bag of 50# of 2-Row, a couple 55# bags of Maris Otter, some specialty grains, crystal, chocolate malt and chocolate wheat, some Munich--like that.

But not all for me. Most of it, but not all. :)
Yeah, I seen people here occasionally trying to get people involved in a large spot buy for a whole skid of base malt.

For teetotalers, seeing a skid delivered is probably less alarming than seeing a Brutus set up in a garage.

Last edited:
Not arguing with your main point, but, this is not a federal law. Rather, since the federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate the drinking age, they used the strategy of holding back the return of your tax money, in the form of state-level highway funding subsidization, to extort the states to all fall in line with what the feds wanted them to do. Wisconsin was the last holdout, and still has some "stop telling me what to do" intricacies on the books.

I know that entire body of law in the US is a ridiculously complex thing with more than anyone could ever learn in a lifetime, but it is always good to know the general high-level things about areas in which one is interested, so I wanted to mention this.

What!? Citation needed?

I don’t have a citation, but I don’t think this is tied to drinking age. The ages cited and the language about entering into contracts are more in line with HBT not getting sued for collecting personal information on minors.

Yeah, that's I what I'd say. It'd look like you got a bunch of Scott's turf builder. If you told then it was fertilizer they'd have another thing to fear.....

Like your gonna do a Timothy McVeigh.

I was going for a Jimmy Stafford reference ;)

seeds = Jim Stafford "take a trip, never leave the farm!"
fertilizer = McVeigh

The other day, a woman came up to the bar to order a beer from me.

Her: “Hi I’d like a beer but I’m not a big fan of those IPA beers with all the hops. I like light and fruity.”

Me: “Oh sure we have a few things for ya. Here, try our new mango berliner weiss, it’s not hoppy at all.”
[This stuff literally tastes like sweet mango juice.]

Her: Oh! Gosh! Oh no, not that. That’s too hoppy for me!

*The beer is literally 2 IBU!!! [emoji25]
That’s below the actual flavor threshold for hops... smh.

After that I just told her to get wine.

You wouldn’t believe how often this happens...

What beer is that? I want some

I get a lot of " that stuff gives me the poopys".

I hadn't beer brewing long and brought a 6 pack of homebrew to a friend's for July 4th. Drank 4 or 5 . . . straight from the bottle. :no:

. . . I have never drank Homebrew straight from the bottle since. Rarely drink commercial from the bottle since :(

"My father tried that once. He put the bottles in a closet and a few weeks later we heard "Pop"..."Pop"..."Pop""

Yeah, that's I what I'd say. It'd look like you got a bunch of Scott's turf builder. If you told then it was fertilizer they'd have another thing to fear.....

Like your gonna do a Timothy McVeigh.

I went to the same school as him. Def don’t want neighbors thinking I got a truckload of fertilizer.
Especially since I don’t have a garden. :)

Time before last picking up barley girl asked "Do you make a good profit?"

I try explaining "No, but 50 cent twelve packs are nice!"....

Upon hearing that I'm on my 26th batch since last November: "What the hell are you doing with all that beer?!?" Asked my brother.

The guy has a keggle-based RIMS setup and a kegerator, who got me started in brewing AG in the first place, yet no longer brews himself. The same guy who has just finished building a 15 gallon reflux still and only just this week tested her out distilling 5 gallons of old leftover homebrew. He's a member here though he's no longer active. And a complete assclown to boot.

My response? "I give a lot of beer away, and I bring alot to neighborhood parties, etc..." the truth? I drink most of it myself. In my underpants. Life is good.

Last edited:
Upon hearing that I'm on my 26th batch since last November: "What the hell are you doing with all that beer?!?"

Asked my brother. The guy who has a keggle-based RIMS setup and a kegerator, who got me started in brewing AG in the first place yet no longer brews himself. The same guy who has just finished building a 15 gallon still and only just this week tested her out distilling 5 gallons of old homebrew. He's a member here though he's no longer active. And a complete assclown to boot.

which the response would be, " I dump it down the toilet after filtering through my liver!"

the guy at the feed store told me something similar, he asked how many bags do you buy i said about 1 every other week. he said i can't believe you brew that much beer! I just thought to myself, i drink that much too!

and as far as the trial run of old homebrew get it from him to make fortified beer! i doubt he'll like it with the hops, but it makes a great fortified IPA!

which the response would be, " I dump it down the toilet after filtering through my liver!"

the guy at the feed store told me something similar, he asked how many bags do you buy i said about 1 every other week. he said i can't believe you brew that much beer! I just thought to myself, i drink that much too!

and as far as the trial run of old homebrew get it from him to make fortified beer! i doubt he'll like it with the hops, but it makes a great fortified IPA!
I've already brought up the idea of making a German bierlikör, for fortifying stronger brews to make bourbon stout liquor, hops schnapps, etc. He was 'meh', somewhat receptive. Meanwhile I have my eye on a clawhammer supply copper still kit. If you want something done right....

I've already brought up the idea of making a German bierlikör, for fortifying stronger brews to make bourbon stout liquor, hops schnapps, etc. He was 'meh', somewhat receptive. Meanwhile I have my eye on a clawhammer supply copper still kit. If you want something done right....

LOL, bierlikör, broke google! everyone started speaking german! what is it? apparently it must be good, if it even gets google and wikipedia drunk!

Back