Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion hasn't changed, I'm still good with the ban, but I also hope that he keeps learning about brewing under the supervision of responsible adults who interact with him IRL rather than in an online forum.

But I thought I'd point out that I have a feeling Sprint10 has a new list of the most annoying responses when he tells people he is a homebrewer.

@doug293cz

Any minor on HBT should be banned. I don't want to anonymously help a minor make alcohol. Then get sued by some outraged parent because I helped him do so. Especially if something bad happens as result of it. Consider it for all of your own protection and the community.

Damn, I haven't had ANYONE think homebrewing is illegal. But I'll definitely play along if someone does. What a cool way to be an outlaw.

...yeah, that's right I'm a bootlegger.

I can get hard time for this. And community service!

I think you should extend that idea further: ask them to keep it quiet so as to not get you in trouble. :)

I haven't had anyone ask me about the legality of this--perhaps because I live in Wisconsin--but if anyone does, I'm going to swear them to secrecy.

When I hand someone a bottle of homebrew and a glass but they instead drink it straight from the bottle. Glug glug glug. All that yeast sediment swirls up and dulls the flavor. I try to explain that "this is fresh, whole beer. It hasn't been processed and it is all natural, but you should avoid the yeast."

"Why, will it make me sick?"

"No, it just tastes better and looks clearer if you pour slowly and carefully leaving the last bit behind."

"Is it pro-biotic?"

"Sorta."

Glug glug glug again.

Wtf? I want them to experience the beer as I intended, but I don't want to pour beers for people like they were children.

Damn, I haven't had ANYONE think homebrewing is illegal. But I'll definitely play along if someone does. What a cool way to be an outlaw.

Plenty of bootleggers and scofflaws in my family, but that was during Prohibition. Some of them were doing it BEFORE Prohibition when the morally offended took a dim religious view. More or less, I get attitude that homebrewing is an oddity but that's mostly from people who find it easier just to buy some swill from a store.
In my opinion, they are the same people who'd rather open a cold can of soup or buy a limp sandwich rather than enjoy cooking.

I think the illegal thing comes up a lot. My brother-in-law's oldest brother is an ATF field agent, and he got a call from a Sheriff Dept in lower Michigan about a possible bootlegging operation. One neighbor ratted on the other, and the dept did a drive by and thought it looked suspicious so they called him for advice since this is a federal issue. He rode with the deputy involved and did another drive by, and he said you could see from a block away it was all a guys brew sculpture and table in his garage. STILL they had to stop and talk to the guy so the deputy would be satisfied is was brew gear not some kind of still. The guy involved thought it was hilarious! But what a waste of time and resources. Meth also comes up a lot i guess as well. Several of my regular customers are cops, and when they find out i brew it seems like they all have some story about getting a call to investigate a possible meth lab only to have it turn out to be some guy brewing beer or fermenting out some wine or cider.

This one is a good one. My brew buddy and I were drinking at Whole foods and talking to this young woman who stated every other word that she was a beer snob. When we told her we were home Brewers she said, "Oh, I don't like Homebrew it doesn't taste good". I told her that person may have been new to brewing. And she said well what's it supposed to taste like? A well educated beer snob she was.

Your chiller is a dead give away. LOL

"Wow, just Wow !! Now, I'm gonna take my shirt off and let you touch my Double D titties !!!"

But usually they don't say much of anything........
"Wow, just Wow !! Now, I'm gonna take my shirt off and let you touch my Double D titties !!!"

But usually they don't say much of anything........
I need to hang with you.

When I hand someone a bottle of homebrew and a glass but they instead drink it straight from the bottle. Glug glug glug. All that yeast sediment swirls up and dulls the flavor. I try to explain that "this is fresh, whole beer. It hasn't been processed and it is all natural, but you should avoid the yeast."

"Why, will it make me sick?"

"No, it just tastes better and looks clearer if you pour slowly and carefully leaving the last bit behind."

"Is it pro-biotic?"

"Sorta."

Glug glug glug again.

Wtf? I want them to experience the beer as I intended, but I don't want to pour beers for people like they were children.
[Color= green]You have too, they are like children. The glass is their sippy cup. As for snacks to go with the beer, serve them cheerios, Pepperidge Farm cheese fishes, and blue berries. [/color]

baby-wants-beer.jpeg

I don't get annoyed really with some of the comments that crop up - in fact most of the time comments are positive or curious, not negative. But the mistaken beliefs about legality do still come up, and I really crack up over them. A couple years ago we threw a BBQ for some friends, customers, and business associates. We put out 8 different kegs of home brew and an assortment of commercial beverages. Everybody gave the HB a go and many stayed with it the whole time - EXCEPT for one guys wife. She was absolutely freaked out, and was POSITIVE we were ALL going to jail. She looked right at me and said, "How can YOU even think of messing around with this stuff? Aren't you afraid THEY will find out? What about your licenses, what about your business?" ( I have several federal licenses and all the attendant scrutiny that comes with them-BTW)

I rather stupidly asked,"Who?"

The cops - the Feds, what if they catch you with all this stuff - they'll take everything!!!!"

"Uhm, brewing your own beer and wine is completely legal."

"No"

"My father-in-law is right over there. He is a cop. He is drinking it too."

At this she really freaked out. She just refused to believe making beer was legal. She was sure we were all bootleggers, and that we were essentially doomed. Her poor hubby just rolled his eyes, kept drinking my brown ale. And let her pout about it. My FIL is a pretty kind guy, and he tried to explain that it was all perfectly good, but there was ZERO chance she was gonna buy it. And she sure as hell was not going to be one of those that got busted for using!!

This is probably the most extreme I have seen someone react like this - But i have seen similar on several occasions, and I know I have neighbors that STILL believe this is all bootlegging.

When I meet people like this I just tell them to google "hr 1337" if they don't believe me.
even if they do google it, i've never had someone admit they were wrong and they just come back with "well if you brew more than 100 gallons in a yr it's still illegal"

I just smile and keep drinking.

When I meet people like this I just tell them to google "hr 1337" if they don't believe me.
even if they do google it, i've never had someone admit they were wrong and they just come back with "well if you brew more than 100 gallons in a yr it's still illegal"

I forgot about this one as it dovetails into your comment.

"Man this is good, you should sell this."

Off topic,

I have to get off HBT and get busy cracking grains. I have a chocolate banana imperial milkshake stout to make today.

Calling it,

"Magilla Gorilla Takes A Banana Holiday"

"Man this is good, you should sell this."[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten that exactly like this but people have offered to buy growlers from me.
I haven't taken them up on that offer.
Last thing I want is someone mentioning it to the wrong person.

At this she really freaked out. She just refused to believe making beer was legal. She was sure we were all bootleggers, and that we were essentially doomed. Her poor hubby just rolled his eyes, kept drinking my brown ale. And let her pout about it. My FIL is a pretty kind guy, and he tried to explain that it was all perfectly good, but there was ZERO chance she was gonna buy it. And she sure as hell was not going to be one of those that got busted for using!!

This is probably the most extreme I have seen someone react like this - But i have seen similar on several occasions, and I know I have neighbors that STILL believe this is all bootlegging.
I think Divrack said it best.
I looked deep into her eyes and realised that she was right and always would be.

“I don’t like that dark stuff”

That's just bias for light-colored fizzy stuff.
Sad, because I consider Founders robust porter as being as some of the tastiest and most affordable "dark stuff" you can find.
It smells like dark chocolate and coffee - and everyone knows how popular those disgusting flavors are!
I like it so much, sometimes I'll even drink the "dark stuff" at room temps. The flavors are amplified.

Happened last week:
Really? You make beer? How much do you charge?"

me: "I don't charge anybody anything for my beer"

"Well... Then why do you do it?"

Just recently, I've told people that I home brew.

They ask what kind of beer that I make.

I tell them the three on tap. NEIPA, stout oak-smoked pale ale.

They ask about the smoke beer

I tell them its very good lighter style of beer, it reminds me of ham as a result of the smoke smell.

They think that's gross and roll their eyes.

I tell them don't knock it, it goes well with bbq.

I more or less expect it though.

I tell them its very good lighter style of beer, it reminds me of ham as a result of the smoke smell.

I've had one of those. The first two sips were interesting. The problem was what to do with the remainder. :)

Different strokes and all that.

Sours are like martinis and Scotch. Usually takes more than a few sips to develop a taste for them, but when you do, it's all over.

But taste is a personal thing, to each their own.

Brew on :mug:

With Scotch I need more than a few sips. And then a few sips more just to make sure! [emoji1]

Sours are like martinis and Scotch. Usually takes more than a few sips to develop a taste for them, but when you do, it's all over.

But taste is a personal thing, to each their own.

Brew on :mug:
That's how I feel about smoke beers. It really got me started (obsessed) after I got 5 free cases of Schlenkerla from Schlenkerla.

Last edited:
Plenty of bootleggers and scofflaws in my family, but that was during Prohibition. Some of them were doing it BEFORE Prohibition when the morally offended took a dim religious view. More or less, I get attitude that homebrewing is an oddity but that's mostly from people who find it easier just to buy some swill from a store.
In my opinion, they are the same people who'd rather open a cold can of soup or buy a limp sandwich rather than enjoy cooking.

eh, I read the laws in my state.
I'm not contracting with my friends to sell them beer.
If they want to give me $5 to fill up a growler and contribute to my ~$13 grain bill to make 5 gallons for a simple IPA i'm not going to tell them no when they insist.
And they aren't going take a growler of beer for nothing when I insist.
they know it takes 4-5 hrs to brew a batch plus the time it takes to get it to the keg.

"Do you brew anything that tastes like Bud Light?"
omg my BIL asks for Busch light and I roll my eyes. Then my best friend finds out and asks when I am going to brew some good stuff, Stout, not that other crap,IPA, and he even picked out the milk stout kit. Two completely different people.

Last edited:
"
Hopefully he wasn't a clinical psychologist. Maybe he just does experiments with rats (poor rats). Either way, it sounds like he wasn't paying attention in class.
"

it was a female psychologist. NUT job is the way I took it.

Last year I was having some furniture delivered and the guys were bringing it in through the garage. When they came back out one of them looked over at my burner and 20 gal. pot with my immersion chiller sitting on top of it. He said to me, "Is that a still?". I just smiled and walked away.

But with two adults we get 200 gallons. ;)

According to my dad, just about any homebrewed beer I hand him is an IPA.

Amber Lager? IPA. Hefeweizen? IPA. Belgian Dubbel? IPA.

Smoked beers may not be my ultimate favorite but with a meal, anything grilled or roasted omg it goas so well.

Latest posts

Back