Mosaic Smash recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
since my last few brews have been a bit labor intensive I am looking to simply for my next brew day. Been reading up on SMASH's.
I was unsure about the amount to use and at what time to add to the boil. Knowing that Mosaic is aroma hop I was not sure how it would work for bittering.
Brewers friend gave me the following based on the receipt:
SG 1057
FG 1013
ABD 5.75% (assuming 75 efficiency)
71 ibu 50 from 60 min boil 20 from late additions

grateful for any input :

10# Maris Otter
1 oz mosaic 60min
.5 oz mosaic 15 min
.5 oz mosaic 10 min
.5 oz mosaic 0 min
1.5 oz mosaic dry hop 7 day

yeast
WLP001 American Ale yeast

I am planning a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMaSH. I plan to use 10z Mosaic FWH for 51 IBU, 4oz Mosaic in a 45min Hop Stand, and Dry Hop with 2oz Mosaic. I like a lot of hop flavor and aroma in my Pale Ales and IPAs. I will be using 10# 8oz of Golden Promise. Shooting for OG of 1.054 and FG of 1.012 for 5.5% ABV. Not sure when I will brew this one.

You recipe sounds good to me. The APA I am drinking now, I used 4oz of hops, and it has good flavor and aroma. I thinks yours will be a tasty beer.

I am planning a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMaSH. I plan to use 10z Mosaic FWH for 51 IBU, 4oz Mosaic in a 45min Hop Stand, and Dry Hop with 2oz Mosaic. I like a lot of hop flavor and aroma in my Pale Ales and IPAs. I will be using 10# 8oz of Golden Promise. Shooting for OG of 1.054 and FG of 1.012 for 5.5% ABV. Not sure when I will brew this one.

You recipe sounds good to me. The APA I am drinking now, I used 4oz of hops, and it has good flavor and aroma. I thinks yours will be a tasty beer.

Considered Golden Promise, but have never used it or drank it.
Not sure of the profile.
Marries Otter I have had Ina couple VT beers!
Thanks for info!

I'm kind of shooting for my own version of Founder's Mosaic Promise. I don't know what their hopping rate is, but they say it is 50 IBU and 5.5%, and seems to be heavily hopped. It is a great beer, and if you can find it, I recommend trying it. It will give you a good idea of how well Mosaic works for bittering.

As far as the Golden Promise goes, it tastes great in Mosaic Promise. I have only brewed with it once, and that is the IPA I just bottled this morning. If the hydrometer samples are any indication, it is a good base malt for IPAs as well. I may start using it for all of my IPAs and APAs.

got all the grain, yeast and hops.
Now I am consider bettering with .5 oz of simcoe, simply because I have it in the fridge.

Just not sure what it was add for bitterness and how it would get along with mosaic.
I know mosaic is not a bittering hop, but it would free up a oz of mosaic for flavoring! but this would mean it was no longer a smash

As far as the Golden Promise goes, it tastes great in Mosaic Promise. I have only brewed with it once, and that is the IPA I just bottled this morning. If the hydrometer samples are any indication, it is a good base malt for IPAs as well. I may start using it for all of my IPAs and APAs.

Is it just me, or does the Golden Promise give a bit of a rye bite/zest on the back end? I have a few bottles of Mosaic Promise in the fridge (drank one a few days ago), and I'm picking up a bit of that. REALLY good beer. Wish I could get it a bit fresher out here in CA. :mug:

After much deliberation a an mind changing, Ended up using the below hop schedule.

.50 oz Mosaic 60 min
1 oz Mosaic. 20 min
.5 oz Mosaic 10 min
.5 oz mosaic. 5 min
.25 oz. mosaic. 0 min
.25 oz mosaic 160f
1 oz mosaic dry hop 7 days

I just bottled a galaxy mosaic apa and the first tastes are blowing me away. Did mid-late hop additions between 30-10mins and at flame out. (Brewersfriend estimate brings it to around 55IBU). Dry hopped with the same combo and it's definitely got a great flavour/ aroma profile. Can't wait for it to be carbed and ready ������

I just bottled a galaxy mosaic apa and the first tastes are blowing me away. Did mid-late hop additions between 30-10mins and at flame out. (Brewersfriend estimate brings it to around 55IBU). Dry hopped with the same combo and it's definitely got a great flavour/ aroma profile. Can't wait for it to be carbed and ready í*½í±Œí*¼í¿¼í*½í¸

Mind sharing recipe?
Never used Galaxy, looking to give a try!

I just bottled a galaxy mosaic apa and the first tastes are blowing me away. Did mid-late hop additions between 30-10mins and at flame out. (Brewersfriend estimate brings it to around 55IBU). Dry hopped with the same combo and it's definitely got a great flavour/ aroma profile. Can't wait for it to be carbed and ready í*½í±Œí*¼í¿¼í*½í¸

Fantastically fruity combo!

Back