morning glory beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

polarbearbrewing

Reaction score
i have been debating whether i should post this for a while but after seeing the thread about weed beer, i thought that this might not be completely shot down...so without further ado, here is my idea for a beer:

so i got this idea awhile back while listening to Oasis' Morning Glory on the way to class and recalling how in my younger days a couple of my friends had told me they had eaten a packet or two of morning glory seeds and hallucinated. At the time i kind of blew the idea off because i just thought they were lying. i did some research and found that morning glory seeds actually have been used for recreational use and have been found to have psychoactive properties. the active ingredient responsible for the effects of these seeds are the egot alkaloids, ergine and ergonovine. I was concerned about the toxicity of this chemical but i found that the flowers of the plant are edibile and ergine and ergonovine are currently used in pharmaceuticals such as Ergotrate and Methergine.

This spawned the idea for a brew i will call: Polar Bear Brewing's Oasis

i have not brewed this and this is strictly in the "brainstorming" phase and wanted to get your guys' opinions on this. I do not want something that will knock you on your back and scare the crap out of you...more of a beer that is sure to be a conversation starter and for sure a unique experience. I would like to have a subtle, yet noticeable effect in addition to the normal alcohol buzz. I think a neutral, pale ale would be the ideal beer as a base and i have no idea what sort of dosage should be used but it should most definitely be taken by the "low and slow" approach.

i was considering crushing a packet os seeds and steeping them in vodka or some other spirit that the chemicals are soluble in and then adding this to the secondary fermenter

so what do u guys think? worth looking further research or bad news written all over it?

Obviously, since the concentration of psychoactive chemicals in morning glory seeds would be illegal, I never tried anything like this during my college days.

That being said, I would suspect that it would be a horrible PITA to make any kind of multi-stage extraction of said psychoactive compounds, and that said extraction would taste horrible and be minimally effective.

Given that disclaimer, one could find further information on the topic at Erowid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back