Month past Best Before Date.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinaa

Reaction score
I have two vials of WL European Ale 0011 yeast with the best before 7/17/14, it is now 8/17. I didn't expect to be brewing today so I didn't do a starter. My projected OG is 1.058. Do you think that a double pitch of this yeast will do the job or should I scamper the the local HB shop and pick up some fresh yeast? They are only open for like 3 hours today and closed on Mondays.

Thanks.

What did you end up doing? If I were in the same position, I might have pitched the 2 vials. Would be interesting to see how long active fermentation takes. Then again, I might have also made a starter, brewed later in the day, let thw wort sit covered, and pitched as soon as the starter reached high krausen. Probably not the smartest approach, but a worthy experiment anyway ;)

I had something very similar happen and the fermentation was slow to start but the brew was great.:D

~12 hours later, it has started and there is bubbling, no Krazy Krausen yet, but I've had slower starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back