Quantcast

Mold or Active Yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

metalexa

Reaction score
Hello I have a batch of beer I created yesterday but had some questions about it. This morning I checked up on it in less than 12 hours there were 4 huge bubbles in the beer. I have seen pictures of mold and wanted some opinion.

I am making a Witbier Belgian Ale.

I personally don't think it is mold in 12 hours but have never seen bubbles like that in my other batches I have made before.

Sorry about the bad picture

Attachments

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I agree those bubbles probably don't mean anything.
It would have to be to a pretty large contamination to see a pellicle before primary.

OP
M

metalexa

Reaction score
Oh ok, I just checked now and it looks like the bubbles went away but there is still the dark colour but could be the wort. I will still let it ferment then put it into secondary and see how it will turn out... I think it's just me over exaggerating.
I had no reverse osmosis water so I decided to boil tap water and let it cool. First I boiled the water and allowed it to slowly cool down while I made the wort. Quickly cooled down the wort then the boiled water so I don't think it was contaminated from it slowly cooling down as it was still extremely hot before I started quickly cooling down the boiled water. Don't think anything would be able to grow in the water as it was still hot.

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
I see nothing of concern, even without the prejudice of knowing the beer was merely 12 hours old.
And knowing it's a wheat beer, the bubbles don't surprise me.
If the concern is due to the dark spots in the krausen, some strains do that...

Cheers!

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That's good . I would refrain from doing secondaries . Only time I would is if racking over fruit or long period of conditioning.

OP
M

metalexa

Reaction score
So I know people have said that I should not put it into secondary but it was in a bucket and don't like having it in there and rather have it in the carboy. Next time I will just keep it in the carboy. I have attached a photo of the beer when I was transfering it to the carboy.

There is a film on top that I have never seen before when brewing. Can someone explain what that is?

Attachments

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
Yeast rafts. Unusual ones from my experience, but still, yeast rafts.
Carry on.

Cheers!