Mold or Active Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalexa

Reaction score
Hello I have a batch of beer I created yesterday but had some questions about it. This morning I checked up on it in less than 12 hours there were 4 huge bubbles in the beer. I have seen pictures of mold and wanted some opinion.

I am making a Witbier Belgian Ale.

I personally don't think it is mold in 12 hours but have never seen bubbles like that in my other batches I have made before.

Sorry about the bad picture

Attachments

• signal-attachment-2020-02-18-233408.jpeg
    signal-attachment-2020-02-18-233408.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 100
I agree those bubbles probably don't mean anything.
It would have to be to a pretty large contamination to see a pellicle before primary.

Oh ok, I just checked now and it looks like the bubbles went away but there is still the dark colour but could be the wort. I will still let it ferment then put it into secondary and see how it will turn out... I think it's just me over exaggerating.
I had no reverse osmosis water so I decided to boil tap water and let it cool. First I boiled the water and allowed it to slowly cool down while I made the wort. Quickly cooled down the wort then the boiled water so I don't think it was contaminated from it slowly cooling down as it was still extremely hot before I started quickly cooling down the boiled water. Don't think anything would be able to grow in the water as it was still hot.

I see nothing of concern, even without the prejudice of knowing the beer was merely 12 hours old.
And knowing it's a wheat beer, the bubbles don't surprise me.
If the concern is due to the dark spots in the krausen, some strains do that...

Cheers!

That's good . I would refrain from doing secondaries . Only time I would is if racking over fruit or long period of conditioning.

So I know people have said that I should not put it into secondary but it was in a bucket and don't like having it in there and rather have it in the carboy. Next time I will just keep it in the carboy. I have attached a photo of the beer when I was transfering it to the carboy.

There is a film on top that I have never seen before when brewing. Can someone explain what that is?

Attachments

• 20200222_120349.jpg
    20200222_120349.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200222_120406.jpg
    20200222_120406.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 37
Back