Mold in my Yeast Ranch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a "first" this morning when I headed downstairs to the brew area. I was going to make a starter yeast for an upcoming batch from a WLP-039 Nottingham I'd obtained from the Vault last Spring and harvested afterward. The 1st. generation fermentation was an Irish Red ale from 5/20/2020 that turned out quite good (still nursing the last of it from the kegerator).

I ranched this batch directly from the fermenter dump port following a closed transfer of the beer to a keg, into a previously sanitized and sealed Mason jar. The harvested yeast was/is trub-free and of uniform creamy consistency. It has been stored in the original harvesting jar under the dregs of the beer it was fermented under. The sealed, airtight jar has been kept in a 38F refrigerator since it was harvested until this morning. pH of the finished beer was 4.9, from my brew notes.

Here's what it looked like when I opened it to pour into the Erlenmeyer flask:

20201013_091110.jpg
20201013_091141.jpg

Clearly a colony of mold set up shop in the harvested sample. Should I dump it in disgust and despair? (I'm thinking "Hell, YES"). But my real question is how did it happen?

The yeast was harvested from a sealed fermenter from a successful fermentation that yielded very good beer, directlty into a sanitized jar through a sanitized dump valve and TC yeast harvester, refrigerated under it's original 4.5% ABV beer measuring pH 4.9.

I KNOW it happened. The question is HOW? Shouldn't the alcohol and/or the low pH have suppressed mold propagation? Could random spores have drifted into the jar or lid during the brief time they were open to the ambient room atmosphere?

I try to be thorough (without being analy obsessive) about sanitation and had just misted the jar and lid with StarSan prior to the transfer. I'll add, the lid looks like a Petri dish with an abundance of spores.

I've ranched yeast for several years, and even have 15-20 frozen samples, and have never had this happen before. Can anyone beer 'splain this to me?

Bad luck, that's it. We are not working in a laboratory without any microbes in the air, even with the best sanitation practice, a small risk always remains.

Shouldn't the alcohol and/or the low pH have suppressed mold propagation?
Nope.

Could random spores have drifted into the jar or lid during the brief time they were open to the ambient room atmosphere?
Yep.

Sorry, I'm feeling particularly terse today... :D

Mold spores are literally everywhere and will get into any container that is open to the air even for a short time. There are even spores in commercial bottled beer although their number is usually quite low. The reason mold doesn't start growing in beer bottles is the lack of oxygen as mold is strictly aerobic. If there is oxygen and sugar available (mold can digest even the unfermentable sugars in fully fermented beer) then it will eventually start growing. It's one more reason why long-term storage of yeast should always be done in saline solution after washing the yeast.

Nope.

Yep.

Sorry, I'm feeling particularly terse today... :D

Mold spores are literally everywhere and will get into any container that is open to the air even for a short time. There are even spores in commercial bottled beer although their number is usually quite low. The reason mold doesn't start growing in beer bottles is the lack of oxygen as mold is strictly aerobic. If there is oxygen and sugar available (mold can digest even the unfermentable sugars in fully fermented beer) then it will eventually start growing. It's one more reason why long-term storage of yeast should always be done in saline solution after washing the yeast.

Good information. I'd always 'assumed' that the still beer from dregs of fermentation would keep nasties at bay. I totally overlooked the food source for opportunistic organisms like mold being the unfermentables that the yeast couldn't metabolize. Duh.

Saline storage is an excellent suggestion. Would a good practice be to decant the saline before propagating the starter with wort, and if so should it be rewashed? I normally don't have to wash because I have already dumped trub a few times before harvest and have very clean yeast without washing.

Mold are pretty durable I guess. I'll chalk this up as a random occurrence and learning experience, since I've not seen it before nor do I see it in any of the other yeast samples in the "farm."

Just glad I have some "break glass in case of emergency" sachets of Notty and S-05 stashed away.

Brooo Brother

Mold can grow on you house walls provided they are damp enough (available water) with nothing but the minerals in the paint for nourishment so yes, they're pretty hardy beasties. Washing before preserving in saline is to remove any trace of beer and the sugars it contains.
By storing yeast in beer long-term (and I see from the label that this is your case) you're actually selecting for beer spoilage organisms as anything that is susceptible to the anti-bacterial agents in beer won't have a chance to take hold.

Mold can grow on you house walls provided they are damp enough (available water) with nothing but the minerals in the paint for nourishment so yes, they're pretty hardy beasties. Washing before preserving in saline is to remove any trace of beer and the sugars it contains.
By storing yeast in beer long-term (and I see from the label that this is your case) you're actually selecting for beer spoilage organisms as anything that is susceptible to the anti-bacterial agents in beer won't have a chance to take hold.

Along these lines, would long term storage in distilled water be suitable as well or is saline a better 'solution'?;)

Latest posts

Back