Mold in Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesgonzales

Reaction score
Hello. I've made one mistake after another on this 10gal brew. A week before I kegged it tasted great. Now it tastes off, contaminated. I decided to tap the other keg and try it and I found what appears to be mold. I just want to get a second opinion before I dump $100 down the drain.

image.jpg

Now, I'm no expert on colonies in beer, but that looks an awful lot like a pellicle. You may be inadvertently making a sour beer! Might be good again in a year or so... There are a bunch of folks here who love that stuff!

Yeah it looks more like an infection than mold. No telling what type of infection though (don't listen to those who might chime in with "that's a lactobacillus infection", because there's really no way to tell without access to a good lab).

But yeah if you can spare the keg, close it up and hit it with the CO2 to seal and let it sit for a long time. You may still end up dumping it, but to some it's worth the gamble.

Back