Modifying a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
I have a recipe for All day IPA
1.0 lbs Carmel 20L specialty grain
6.6 lbs. golden light LME

HOPS

2oz falconer's flight
2oz Equinox

I stopped at LBS today and bought 1lbs of x-tra light DME
And 1oz of Amarillo hops

The reason Ihave this all day IPA is it came with what I bought (kit)
And I don't want to waste it. I have tried the real deal and I feel it's OK,
I am more into a strong hoppy citrus flavor.

That's why I bought the Amarillo

Any suggestions on when to add the new hops to the boil?
And maybe change up on the other two hops schedule???

Oh and Safe ale yeast 05

If your looking for more hop profile use wyeast 1056, 05 is good but 1056 brings out more hop.

Not sure when you add the other hops but I'd either add the Amarillo at flameout or dry hop with it.

If your looking for more hop profile use wyeast 1056, 05 is good but 1056 brings out more hop.

Not sure when you add the other hops but I'd either add the Amarillo at flameout or dry hop with it.

Didn't know yeast had anything to do with hop flavor. Good to know, thank you

I just did a 3 floyds Gumball Head clone with the 05 and it's not bad. Now I wonder if using the 1056 would have made it better.

I know one thing, I was amazed how much action went on with the 05.

Think about getting an ounce of Citra hops and use that and the Amarillo for dry hopping. I'd let the beer sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks to be sure the ferment is completed and much of the yeast settled out before adding the Citra and Amarillo then let them sit for another week before bottling or kegging. I find the Citra dry hop really adds to the citrus aroma.

Didn't know yeast had anything to do with hop flavor. Good to know, thank you

I just did a 3 floyds Gumball Head clone with the 05 and it's not bad. Now I wonder if using the 1056 would have made it better.

I know one thing, I was amazed how much action went on with the 05.

I made 10 gallons of a pale and split it in half and used s05 in 5 and 1056 in 5 and the 1056 brought out more of the hop aroma and flavor.

I have a recipe for All day IPA
1.0 lbs Carmel 20L specialty grain
6.6 lbs. golden light LME

HOPS

2oz falconer's flight
2oz Equinox

I stopped at LBS today and bought 1lbs of x-tra light DME
And 1oz of Amarillo hops

The reason Ihave this all day IPA is it came with what I bought (kit)
And I don't want to waste it. I have tried the real deal and I feel it's OK,
I am more into a strong hoppy citrus flavor.

That's why I bought the Amarillo

Any suggestions on when to add the new hops to the boil?
And maybe change up on the other two hops schedule???

Oh and Safe ale yeast 05

If you're only going to add the 1 oz, I'd dry hop it. If it were me and I want to add more hop character (assuming a 5 gallon batch, I'd want a couple oz at whirlpool and 2-4 more dry hopped. That's based more on reading recipes and the reactions to them than actual experience.

My next beer will be a 1-2-4 hop additions. 1 oz 60 mins, 2 oz whirlpool, and 4 oz dry hopped. Looking at a mix of simcoe and nelson sauvin for the recipe I've got (imperial dry-hopped california common).

Back