MLT size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I got an AG kit from Midwest a while back that included the 7.5 gal MLT and HLT with a sparge arm. Well after only a few AG batches i have seen differing opinions on the ratio of water to grain to use for the initial mash. How to brew states 2 quarts per lb whereas a lot of other places state 1.25 quarts. I only do 5 gallon batches but i have done some big big batches (high gravity belgians) and those cut it really close in the MLT with the grain and water at a 2 qt/lb ratio. I am planning on a clone of Flying Dog's gonzo porter which calls for more grain than i've used before (about 18 lbs.) and i know it won't fit in my MLT at a 2 qt/lb ratio. It should be able to fit with a 1.25 qt/lb ratio but not sure if i should just go ahead and buy a 10 gallon cooler. What do you all think? Should i get a new 10 gallon cooler for an MLT? What would be the difference if i went with a 1.25 qt/lb ratio?

I got an AG kit from Midwest a while back that included the 7.5 gal MLT and HLT with a sparge arm. Well after only a few AG batches i have seen differing opinions on the ratio of water to grain to use for the initial mash. How to brew states 2 quarts per lb whereas a lot of other places state 1.25 quarts. I only do 5 gallon batches but i have done some big big batches (high gravity belgians) and those cut it really close in the MLT with the grain and water at a 2 qt/lb ratio. I am planning on a clone of Flying Dog's gonzo porter which calls for more grain than i've used before (about 18 lbs.) and i know it won't fit in my MLT at a 2 qt/lb ratio. It should be able to fit with a 1.25 qt/lb ratio but not sure if i should just go ahead and buy a 10 gallon cooler. What do you all think? Should i get a new 10 gallon cooler for an MLT? What would be the difference if i went with a 1.25 qt/lb ratio?

I have had no problem with conversion using 1.25 qt./lb. I think you will be fine with 1.25-1.33.

at least you have a 7.5 gallon... i use a 5 gallon!

and honestly, the best efficiency i got was @ 2.0/gal buy splitting the grain in half, and doing two mashes. what a pain!
but, im kinda done buying equipment for the time being, save for a chest freezer that i got the ok from SWMBO for...
im lookin into alternatives, will post them shortly in a new thread so not to derail yours anymore than i already did.

fwiw, best efficiency i got @ 1.25/gal was 68% :( (thats brewhouse mind you, not conversion)

IMO, the thinner the mash the better, but you'll still get conversion at lower numbers. If it's efficiency your concerned about, i think it's more important to sparge with water that is the proper temperature. Today I sparged with my water at 185* for the first time and I got my best efficiency ever, 83%. That's 11% better than my previous batch and about 8% better on average than all my batches.

With that said, I know how you feel about your MLT, I have a 7 gallon is just too damn small when it comes to doing bigger beers. I'll be upsizing to a 10 gallon when my Tax Return gets here(hopefully, no IOU's please) So I would say go for the 10 gallon, you can always sell your 7.5g to help pay for the new one, and you would have some flexibility to do 10g batches if you wanted to.

Hope that helps

Size is relative, we have recently upsized (Basically due to there being 3 of us drinking) We have a 65 gallon sparge tank, 55gal and 18gal fermentors, next week will have 30 gallon MLT, after that we need a 30gal boil pot, a bunch more kegs and an oak barrel. Just trying to increase our overall efficiency.

Back