Mistake, fermenting at high temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
Brewed a stout last night with California Ale yeast. Hit my temps and volumes perfectly. I put my primary in a cooler with water in it to keep the temps down. I usually put ice in right away to get it to the low 60s, then maintain the temp with ice packs for the next few days.

Well, last night I was out of ice, so I just used two cooler packs. Unfortunately, these did not cool it much, as the temperature of the water this morning read 75. Looks like some activity has taken place. Am I pooched? Is this the range where you start getting bad off flavors?

You should be fine if you can get the temp back down. If you are early in the fermentation process the yeasties will have time to cleanup some of the off flavors they may have produced.

Either way it will still come out as beer so RDWHAHB

I believe the recomended fermentation temperature for the California Ale yeast is 59-75F. Relax, you will be fine.

I believe the recomended fermentation temperature for the California Ale yeast is 59-75F. Relax, you will be fine.

Your thinking of Dry US-05, WLP001 is 68-73 (White Labs) if the room is at 75 (ambient) and a active fermentation is happening, you can be sure that the liquid in the fermenttor is above 80.

I have a beer going that I am using nottingham on and had it at 54* during vigorous fermentation which is below the recommended 57 as the low number and it was chugging along strong as it was probably above 60 inside.

Back