Mini Fridge Options for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackSmash

Reaction score
Are there mini fridges out there with enough depth & height for a standard 5 gal bucket or glass carboy?

If you find one, let me know. I've been making due with what I think is a fairly large "mini" fridge, and I use 1-gallon jugs and they hardly even fit. I've divided a few 2-gallon batches of lager into 2 such jugs and I think I could almost fit a 3rd one in there, but the plastic deal at the base doesn't look like it can handle that much weight.

I'm looking forward to moving out of the apartment and into a house someday so I can have a real fermentation fridge.

I use 4.4 CF Magic Chef. You have to cut the door but its easy. Works fine for a bucket and air lock. never put a carbon in but think it will work.

I just bought a 4.4 Igloo from home depot online. Was $107, which is super cheap IMO. I too had to cut the shelves out of the door. You also have to unbolt the freezer shelf and bend it backwards along with the coolant line feeding it. Still pretty easy work if you ask me.

Fits a carboy just fine now with an airlock. Also fits 2 cornys and a 5lb co2 tank (I bought 2 fridges actually). I run the fermentor with a cheap temp controller off of Amazon.

I think you might be better off with a small chest freezer...

I went this route. Every mini fridge I came across has the hump where the compressor is, obviously. Went with a brand new small chest freezer and an inkbird controller. Works great.

Look for a 50 bottle wine cooler on Craig's list. Haier, Danby, or Magic Chef are all the same basic model, i believe. The one I have has a bottom that is about 13 inches to the hump at the back. Picked mine up for $60. The only issue is that it's lowest setting is 39 degrees. So I can't cold crash as fast as I would like.

But they are a little larger and have a glass door that is flat without shelves.

The 150 can beverage cooler is essentially the same thing, with different shelving.

This is the same one that I have

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/app/5609686294.html

My back prefers a fridge over a chest freezer because they are font loading vs. top loading.

Any danby 4.4 cu ft fridge without a freezer. I got my dar440w cheap with a dent and it works really well for carbons and I have to tape it shut with buckets. But it cools nicely. There are the of threads on it. Just need to cut out the door

I use 4.4 CF Magic Chef. You have to cut the door but its easy. Works fine for a bucket and air lock. never put a carbon in but think it will work.

I found one of these on Craigslist and it works great. I too had to cut the door shelves, and can fit a 6 gallon bucket or 5 gallon Carboy. I do have to put a small block of wood under the front edge of the bucket for the door to stay closed without bungees.

Back