Mineral Additions (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirchBeer

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Kolsch and want to adjust my local water profile to suit the traditional style. I've never used Bru'n Water (or any other water adjustment software) and, in any event, cannot find the right target profile in the programs. Looking for some help.

Here's what I'm working with:

-5 gallon biab batch
-Simple grain bill with 10lbs of Pilsner, and 8oz of Crystal 15L
-Salts: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Epsom salt, canning salt, baking soda, lactic acid.
-I can add up to 3 gallons of Distilled Water if needed

Home Water Profile
Ca+2Mg+2Na+Cl-SO4-2AlkalinitypH
6295624 (CaCO3)9.33

I'll have to learn how use the software at some point but don't have the time at the moment.

Suggestions on:
1) what salts I should add
2) how much, and
3) what my target mash ph should be

would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't use caramel malts in a Kölsch...but to each his own. I would sub some Munich malt or Vienna in there but if it's what ya got go for it.

As far as your profile, that depends on the hops being used. What are you using because as I learned from @Yooper sulfates and noble hops don't play nicely. Let me know and I can help you out!

I wouldn't use caramel malts in a Kölsch...but to each his own. I would sub some Munich malt or Vienna in there but if it's what ya got go for it.

As far as your profile, that depends on the hops being used. What are you using because as I learned from @Yooper sulfates and noble hops don't play nicely. Let me know and I can help you out!

Yup, using what I've got.

As for hops:
1oz Perle (60 min)
1oz Saaz (flameout)

For a kolsch, your water is pretty good! Target a mash pH of 5.3 or so. Never use baking soda or other alkalinity unless you're making a stout and need it to raise the mash pH. Your water is soft enough you don't have to dilute it with distilled. Since your calcium is really low, you could add some calcium chloride to get the calcium to 40-50 or so and your chloride up a bit (but definitely not very high- maybe 75 ppm or so). But it you use, say, 5 grams of calcium chloride and the calcium is still low, that's fine. Just don't use any of the other stuff you mentioned.
You may need a bit of lactic or phosphoric acid to lower your mash pH, but maybe not.
I'd definitely lose the crystal malt.

For a kolsch, your water is pretty good! Target a mash pH of 5.3 or so. Never use baking soda or other alkalinity unless you're making a stout and need it to raise the mash pH. Your water is soft enough you don't have to dilute it with distilled. Since your calcium is really low, you could add some calcium chloride to get the calcium to 40-50 or so and your chloride up a bit (but definitely not very high- maybe 75 ppm or so). But it you use, say, 5 grams of calcium chloride and the calcium is still low, that's fine. Just don't use any of the other stuff you mentioned.
You may need a bit of lactic or phosphoric acid to lower your mash pH, but maybe not.
I'd definitely lose the crystal malt.

thanks for the advice.

Why no crystal malts? Was hoping to add just a little sweetness and body. No good?

Back