Water chemistry additions for Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirchBeer

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Vienna Lager and want to adjust my local water profile to suit the style. I've never used Bru'n Water (or any other water adjustment software). Looking for some help.

Here's what I'm working with:

-5 gallon batch
-Simple grain bill with 5lbs of Pilsner and 5lbs of Vienna and some small crystal additions.
-what I have on hand: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Epsom salt, canning salt, baking soda, lactic acid.

Home Water Profile
Ca+2Mg+2Na+Cl-SO4-2AlkalinitypH
6295624 (CaCO3)9.33

any help is appreciated.

I use Bru'n Water and have found it to work really well . My water is good for dark beers but I use RO water for my light beers and build up . This is my additions for my pilsner, which is pilsner malt , Vienna and carapils

100% RO water

Gypsum- .4g in mash & .3g sparge
CaCI2- .2g in mash & .2g sparge
Lactic Acid - 3.7ml in mash & none in sparge

Calcium- 10
Sodium- 5
Sulfate- 12
Chloride- 11

wish I had that water.
If city water you need to get rid of the chlorine.
Most beers do better with 50 ppm Ca minimum. I make most of mine 70-150 the 150 being IPA's with lots of CaSO4
I use the Water book which has profiles for different styles and a chart with ppm of salt per gal.
Crystal malts will help get your pH in range along with higher kilned malts. You my not need to acidify with that low of alkalinity.
Some recipes call for a certain amount per 5 gals. That always baffled me because is it 5 gal into fermenter or 5 gal of liquor? I always state grams per gal of brewing liquor in mine.

So for a simple beer like that I would use .5 g/Gal CaSO4 and CaCl2 in mash and boil and .25 g/Gal NaCL and MgSO4 in mash only. If doing full volume I use 1/2 of the liquor volume for the .25 mash only additions. If you're not getting a good hot break with ribbons add more calcium.

Back