Mill rpm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike neff

Mknf
Reaction score
Since we grind so fine with biab and don’t worry about the hulls so much, does drill rpm matter or can we let it rip. I’m tired of fighting the trigger but everything i read says to keep rpm at 200? When I try and go slow it binds up. Stay safe everyone

I have used two different drills, I would guess under load one spins a 2-300 rpm, the other a bit faster maybe 500.

I use either a corona mill or a Kegco 3 roller.
I haven’t noticed a big difference between using either mill or drill for both BIAB or batch sparging with a stainless braid.

try it both ways and take a close look at the crushed grain.
Sure there is optimal criteria for everything, but my experience is it’s not that substantial either way.

what type of drill do you have? Under load it may not be spinning as fast as you think. The #’s on the drill I believe are without load, under load is a different horse depending on how much load.

imo, I couldn’t be bothered frustrating myself trying to stay at optimum rpm.

you can actually make a red neck RPM meter, put a piece of tape on the drill w/ a flap of tape extending outward. Let the tape hit your finger and take a guess how many times it hits per second. I did this once and estimated 3-400 can’t really remember then questioned my sanity lol.
It works :) better than you’d think lol

Last edited:
Looked into this myself when I "upgraded" from a mill motor to a power drill. Motor would bind every time, drill chews through.

You can actually go so fast with a drill that the grain wont catch. Just below that is the speed i run now. As long as its feeding, it's not too fast.

I have the harbor freight 6 amp drill that has trigger power control but it binds when I try and keep rpm’s down. I’ll go full power tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks stay safe

Back