Milky looking octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevi080

Reaction score
I brewed an Octoberfest from all grain then repitched the yeast. after two weeks I transferred it to a secondary fermenter and the gravity was a little high 1.020 and it was very cloudy (looked like it was chocolate milk). after about another 3 weeks in the secondary the gravity is down to 1.012 but the beer is still very cloudy and has not cleared at all.

Any ideas as to what is wrong or how I can fix it.

was it an all grain brew? incomplete conversion in the mash tun can be a cause cloudy beer, chilling problems can also cause cloudiness.

an iodine test for starch conversion might avoid this problem in the future.

It may just be a lot of yeast still in suspension. Although it seems unlikely given how long ago you pitched, I wouldn't discount the possibility.

What yeast did you use?

You mentioned your FG, but what was your OG? Also, is this a Marzenbier? If so, did you lager the beer? Usually for a marzenbier it needs to sit in lagering for at least a month after fermentation if not more.

Back