Epic Fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Martin

Reaction score
I tried all grain brew in a back, pale ale. I transferred work for secondary germination and there was a massive amount of trub, approximately 2 gallons. After four days in secondary fermenter I have a large cloud growing on the middle of the carboy. Any ideas what’s happening. See pics. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0233.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Greetings, @Mike Martin! And welcome to the forums at Homebrewtalk :mug:

What you are seeing is an agglomeration of proteins referred to as "break material" and is totally benign. If you used a carrageenan based/derived product like Irish Moss or Whirlfloc that is something one actually would hope for as it helps keeps that stuff out of the finished beer.

Carry on!

Cheers!

agreed
i think its just yeast and gunk floating up from co2 gas underneath it.

i think your fine

also next time why bother with secondary fermentation. its not needed in most cases and only adds to your chances of oxidation or infection. the clarity gained from secondary isnt worth the risk imo. time and gravity are your friend. finings if you are impatient.

there is likely added benefit from leaving the beer on the primary yeast cake contrary to what the thinking was in the past.

Welcome to HBT!
How long had your beer been in the "primary" fermenter, before you moved it to the "secondary?"

Most of us homebrewers don't use secondaries (anymore), There's no benefit, only a much higher risk of infection and oxidation, except in a few scenarios, well outside beginner brewing, such as sours, fruit beers, high alcohol beers, long term aging, etc.

When you do rack to a "secondary," the idea is to rack the clear beer into the secondary leaving all or most of the trub and yeast behind.

Greetings, @Mike Martin! And welcome to the forums at Homebrewtalk :mug:

What you are seeing is an agglomeration of proteins referred to as "break material" and is totally benign. If you used a carrageenan based/derived product like Irish Moss or Whirlfloc that is something one actually would hope for as it helps keeps that stuff out of the finished beer.

Carry on!

Cheers!
^^^^^This!
RFWHAHB!

Thanks All, it was in the primary for two weeks. Understand the benefits of leaving it alone next time. Will this settle out or do I need to do anything with it?

1706818248023.jpeg

Last edited:
Back