Milkshake IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-Rodge

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wlp008
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Citrus, grapefruit
Recipe:
9lb 2 row
1lb carapils
2lb white wheat
2lb oats
1lb munich
1lb lactose
3oz each of mosaic, el dorado, galaxy
Add 1oz each for each add, 3 additions total
First add after boil and cooled to 160 and let sit for 30m.
Add 2nd hit 2 days into primary fermentation. Mine usually goes crazy at this point. After about 8 days total and primary done make last add and leave for 4-5 days.
I dont secondary this style and go straight to keg because i usually cant wait for it.

I use distilled water. For this style i target 150-175 chloride and 75-100 sulfate.

I know the wheat and oats seem a little heavy % wise but i like them a little heavier and cloudy. One of the first i tried of this style was like that and i guess i want to mirror what they did a little with my own twist. (Trim tab brewing, gallery series #006).

Mash at 152 for 60m. 5.3pH using phosphoric. Sparge really slow with rice hulls

I read about people using lactose in this style so decided to try it out and this one is now my house ipa i keep on tap. Just makes it kinda creamy in mouthfeel.

Would love to hear some feedback on the recipe!

What about a photo. I’m thinking of brewing a milkshake ipa. Does the lactose add much taste or is it just for show?

What about a photo. I’m thinking of brewing a milkshake ipa. Does the lactose add much taste or is it just for show?
A recent milkshake IPA that I made. Very popular and didn't last long. I think you can taste the lactose but it is subtle.

A recent milkshake IPA that I made. Very popular and didn't last long. I think you can taste the lactose but it is subtle.
Oops, forgot the photo
20180603_162224.jpeg

The lactose i think doesn't provide much flavor, i was adding to create more mouthfeel, which it does help with. Makes it a little more creamy feeling while the oats and wheat provide the body. Really nice beer but need to drink it fast! U can def taste a difference after a few weeks. The pic attached shows how milky this one looks! Like i said in my og post, i was trying to mirror the original trim tab gallery series 006(i am positive they changed it after first release and wish they didnt) one local bartender described it as "orange juice that had been sitting out " which fits description but the taste is absolutely delicious

Attachments

• 20180205_172845.jpg
    20180205_172845.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 818
A n00b here but brewed it this Sunday as my first of this style. Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks!

Last edited:
Drink it early! Drink it often! The hop definitely dies out quickly but man is it good when fresh! Let me know what u think!

Just added the last bit of hops. Still a bit high in OG but hoping the week brings it a bit down. But the nose and taste are there.

Quick question, sounds silly, but do you cold crash this? There seems to be a lot of hops floating around.
IMG_0943.JPG

Recipe:
9lb 2 row
1lb carapils
2lb white wheat
2lb oats
1lb munich
1lb lactose
3oz each of mosaic, el dorado, galaxy
Add 1oz each for each add, 3 additions total
First add after boil and cooled to 160 and let sit for 30m.
Add 2nd hit 2 days into primary fermentation. Mine usually goes crazy at this point. After about 8 days total and primary done make last add and leave for 4-5 days.
I dont secondary this style and go straight to keg because i usually cant wait for it.

I use distilled water. For this style i target 150-175 chloride and 75-100 sulfate.

I know the wheat and oats seem a little heavy % wise but i like them a little heavier and cloudy. One of the first i tried of this style was like that and i guess i want to mirror what they did a little with my own twist. (Trim tab brewing, gallery series #006).

Mash at 152 for 60m. 5.3pH using phosphoric. Sparge really slow with rice hulls

I read about people using lactose in this style so decided to try it out and this one is now my house ipa i keep on tap. Just makes it kinda creamy in mouthfeel.

Would love to hear some feedback on the recipe!
What were your fermentation temperatures?

No i didnt cold crash mine. The hops had fallen by the time i moved from primary to keg. I usually secondary but not with this recipe, i want to get to it pretty quickly. It is very opaque and hazy but didnt have anything floating

How may times have you brewed this? If more than once have you ever used any FW hops in it? I plan to make this soon.
I think adding first wort hops would go against everything this recipe was designed for. All the hops flavor without the bitterness. Cheers

How may times have you brewed this? If more than once have you ever used any FW hops in it? I plan to make this soon.

I have done this base recipe a couple times, and just this past time is when i added the lactose and upped the % of oats n wheat. The hop schedule has always been the same but this combo was the best ive done so far.

As Blazinlow just said, i think FWH would go against the intent of this recipe....this one is all about the flavor the hops give post boil and the FWH may add more bitterness/take away from the fruitiness you get with a schedule like this. Try it out tho, it cant hurt to try, it may be what you like! Thats whats so great about brewing, its whatever you want it be!

I have done this base recipe a couple times, and just this past time is when i added the lactose and upped the % of oats n wheat. The hop schedule has always been the same but this combo was the best ive done so far.

As Blazinlow just said, i think FWH would go against the intent of this recipe....this one is all about the flavor the hops give post boil and the FWH may add more bitterness/take away from the fruitiness you get with a schedule like this. Try it out tho, it cant hurt to try, it may be what you like! Thats whats so great about brewing, its whatever you want it be!

Finally put this to the keg, came in a little low at 7.6% but it’s got a great nose and is super tasty. I’m out of town until Friday and I can’t wait to get into this!

Finally put this to the keg, came in a little low at 7.6% but it’s got a great nose and is super tasty. I’m out of town until Friday and I can’t wait to get into this!

This is also my first time using lactose. I put it in with the grains but looks like I should’ve added it at flameout. When are you “supposed” to add it?

Finally got home and after some trouble with the OUT post needing a new seal, finally got to enjoy this beer.

I cold crashed it for a few days before kegging and on CO2.

Looks a bit oxidized but is super tasty. A few bits of hops in the final product but I think that was due to dipping the siphon tube too far during transfer.

I’ll do this again, with the following adjustments:
More rice hulls, between a crappy kettle screen and the large amount of oats/wheat, my sparge got stuck 5-7 times.
Add the lactose near the end.
Double the amount of yeast. I only used 1 packet.
Keep siphon off the trub. I had plenty of beer, no need to get all the last amounts.
Maybe add a small amount of vanilla...thoughts?
IMG_1147.JPG

Finally got home and after some trouble with the OUT post needing a new seal, finally got to enjoy this beer.

Looks a bit oxidized but is super tasty. A few bits of hops in the final product but I think that was due to dipping the siphon tube too far during transfer.

More rice hulls, between a crappy kettle screen and the large amount of oats/wheat, my sparge got stuck 5-7 times.
Keep siphon off the trub. I had plenty of beer, no need to get all the last amounts.
Maybe add a small amount of vanilla...thoughts?View attachment 589518
Looks Tasty!

Now that looks like a tasty brew!

Regarding the rice hulls, i usually use 1 bag (no idea how much that is just whatever the LHBS sells), but i have to sparge really slowly to prevent stuck sparge. Extends brewday by a lot relative to other brews i do so i just get to enjoy one more homebrew while i wait! Cheers!

I made a double batch of this but with half the oats and I wish I had used more... used 13 lbs 2 row and no cara, wheat, or munic..also I don't modify my tap water...to half I added (after crashing) 4 opened scraped beans vanilla, 2 qts pineapple juice and 1lb lactose for the "milkshake" as opposed to the neipa. Not enough vanilla coming through after a few days; I recommend the vodka tincture method which I have used in the past successfully. But it's pretty good if you're interested in using those flavors. I might change the pineapple 2qts to 1.5. Oh yeah my hops was 2 oz fwh, then 8 oz for 20 min 160 deg whirlpool. Then another 8 oz near the end of fermentation and 3 oz to one keg with the "milkshake" additions. All 50/50 mix of citra/mosaic.

Last edited:
I made a double batch of this but with half the oats and I wish I had used more... used 13 lbs 2 row and no cara, wheat, or munic..also I don't modify my tap water...to half I added (after crashing) 4 opened scraped beans vanilla, 2 qts pineapple juice and 1lb lactose for the "milkshake" as opposed to the neipa. Not enough vanilla coming through after a few days; I recommend the vodka tincture method which I have used in the past successfully. But it's pretty good if you're interested in using those flavors. I might change the pineapple 2qts to 1.5. Oh yeah my hops was 2 oz fwh, then 8 oz for 20 min 160 deg whirlpool. Then another 8 oz near the end of fermentation and 3 oz to one keg with the "milkshake" additions. All 50/50 mix of citra/mosaic.
which one turned out better, the neipa or the milkshake?

Finally got home and after some trouble with the OUT post needing a new seal, finally got to enjoy this beer

Vanilla is the key to the milkshake. You want the vanilla to play with the lactose to give that ice cream feel that takes you back to your childhood!

Cheers!

Back