might have screwed up....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If aerated right after pitching, that's a good thing. Those yeasties need oxygen before than can start fermenting.

I aerated right after pitching. Basically I dumped in the yeast then shook the **** out of the carboy for a good 10-15min. When I woke up this morning the airlock was bubbling so I guess all is fine for now....

cnbudz said:
I aerated right after pitching. Basically I dumped in the yeast then shook the **** out of the carboy for a good 10-15min. When I woke up this morning the airlock was bubbling so I guess all is fine for now....

What you did is perfectly fine. In the future, I would advise shaking the hell out of it immediately prior to pitching. That way, you don't get some of your yeast "stuck" on the sides and the top of your fermenter, which decreases the amount of yeast that are actually in your wort.

In the stages of the yeast life there are several stages.. I'll give you the readers digest version. The yeast multiply when they have food and O2. Once the O2 is used up, they switch into an anaerobic cycle that requires fermentation of sugar into CO2 and ETOH. By aeriating the wort, you allow the yeast to build in numbers and that in turn gives the army higher numbers to make your beer a wonderful treat.

Crap --

My aeration was much quicker than 10-15min. I used a stirrer to stir it violently for about a minute or so. This bad?

nerdlogic said:
Crap --

My aeration was much quicker than 10-15min. I used a stirrer to stir it violently for about a minute or so. This bad?

That is probably the reason you are having a slow start in your airlock activity.
Relax and give it some time.

If aerated right after pitching, that's a good thing. Those yeasties need oxygen before than can start fermenting.

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and finally have a question that I haven't been able to answer by searching. At least, I think I found the answer but am still in denial :eek:

Background: Two weeks ago today, I made a brown ale from a True Brew ingredient kit (my first brew). The one bad thing I did on brew day is I didn't aerate the wort...just used a siphon to transfer from the wort pot to the fermenter. I had a 1/2" krausen within 18 hours, so the yeast did kick off, and then it disappeared after a couple days. OG was 1.040 (recipe calls for 1.041-1.042) and after 9 days in the fermenter, it was down to 1.021. 5 days later (today), it's still at 1.020. According to the recipe, final gravity should be 1.010 - 1.012.

Now, the actual problem...I was thinking of pitching another packet of yeast to get things going again, but decided that aerating the beer would be a good idea. To do this I sanitized the countertop, fermenter lid, and plastic spoon, then popped the lid off and gave the beer a good stirring/swirling. Within 15 minutes AFTER doing that, I found a post on here that suggests aerating beer leads to oxidation, which leads to 'wet cardboard flavors'. It sounds like I should have just added some activated yeast rather than stirring up my beer :(

Assuming everything else goes fine, how bad is this going to taste?

[edit] Additional information: temperature at my fermenter has been a fairly steady 63 - 68 degrees. The first week and a half were more like 63 - 66, but I recently turned up the heat in an attempt to get the fermentation going.

Well, I sampled the brown ale last night and it's good! Decent, drinkable, a little sweet/cidery, but not bad. As it's only been in the bottle a week, it's light on carbonation (a good thing, in my opinion). So I'm excited about that! The panic was for nothing.

I never did get the beer down below 1.020. As mentioned before, I stirred it and let it sit for a couple days, that didn't change the gravity. I also repitched yeast and let it sit a couple days, that didn't change the gravity either, so I decided to bottle.

And this morning I made this kit: Merlin's Ale : Perfect Home Brewing Supply, Home Brewing Made Perfect
We'll see how it turns out!

Back