Might have screwed up!!! Over-carbed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag

Reaction score
Bottled my Nut Brown Ale last Wed after 4 weeks in primary. Recipe was

1 can Munton's Nut Brown Ale mix (3.3 lbs.)
2 lbs. dark DME
Muntons yeast
OG was 1.047
FG was 1.021 for three testings.
3/4 cup of corn sugar for priming

Any ways, after just one week in the bottle, it is carbonated perfectly. Is this a sign that I'm headed for OVER carbonation? (Yes, I tried one already. LOL) Is there anything I can do at this point?
open the bottles and let them sit uncapped for a few hours then re-cap?
This is the best tasting of my three batches and I would hate to lose it!!!
Thanks

But it's just been one week in the bottles? Shouldn't it take three to get to this point? Or am I reading too much again? :)
Besides, I can't drink this much this fast. ( Well, yes I could but then again..... )

Well, just to make sure that it's the same way though the whole batch, chill another one and drink it. If it's the same, you can keep them all in a cold spot. 1.021 is a little high, so just be cautious and keep them cold once they are carbonated.

I gotta agree with Yooper. My attention to details is slightly lacking. I didn't see the 1.021 FG. I would be cautious with that as well, but not terrified.

Thanks for the quick replies. Is there anything you can do at this point other than chill and drink quick? Can you put it back in the secondary any way and not get too much air in it? Could you pour into the bucket from as low as you can and the, after a few were poured, pour from under the beer?

Also, if my readings were high, why were they stationary? It was in the primary for 4 weeks. (no secondary for this batch)

Thanks

I am guessing that the yeast you used (Munton's) was just REALLY happy to see some more fermentables :) Seriously, some dried ale yeast ferments really quickly and so you could be nearly fully carbonated without heading towards over-carbonation. The recommendation of 3 weeks in the bottles is not just for carbonation but for clarifying and mellowing of flavor as well.

You don't necessarily have to drink them quickly- just keep them cool once they are carbonated. I doubt that 1.021 is so high you'd have bottle bombs, as it seemed to be finished. Still, no point tempting fate! Just keep them in the fridge or basement where you can halt any further fermentation once they are carbed up.

keep them somewhere cool, but i wouldn't chill and drink just yet. let them age another week or two and be watchful. if you see one of them break or explode, get some gloves and put the rest in the fridge for a couple of days before you open them.

i wouldn't really be worried though. often you will get carbonation early on, but they still need time to condition till they taste great. let 'em sit ;)

Hey guys, Something I just noticed in my log that I failed to mention was that at bottling time, I added a little less than 1/4 pack of yeast. My last batch didn't carb at all and I was a little paranoid, so maybe I just have quick carbonation like Tommish mentioned. Also, the Munton's made was for a 6 gallon batch and I only made a 5 from it.

I keep my beers in cardboard boxes a plastic rubbermaid tote for their first 3 weeks just in case I get any bombs. Luckily so far I haven't!

Laurel said:
I keep my beers in cardboard boxes a plastic rubbermaid tote for their first 3 weeks just in case I get any bombs. Luckily so far I haven't!

I do the exact same thing- and then cover the whole lot with black hefty trash bags!

Back