Middle of Brewing-WTF???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I purchased a Brewer's Best German Oktoberfest kit and the am currently brewing it. The kit came with 2 cans of LME and no DME what-so-ever. Naively, I dumped both of them into the brew kettle. I was waiting for the boil time to be done (am slightly bored) so I started to read the instructions and ingredient list. The Ingredient list, names a 6.6 lb Plain Light Malt Extract and an 8oz. Crushed Crystal Malt and a 40z Crushed Crystal Malt. There was one bag of specialty grains, which I already steeped but that was it. Nothing else besides the caps and priming sugar and hops. Did they replace one of the DME with LME? And if so, what ramifications may this have on the finished product? Thanks!

each of those cans is 3.3 lb.

I didnt see DME on the ingredient list. 48 oz if a lot of crystal, but may be in style for an octoberfest. FIIK.

Oh, interesting. We brewed a English Brown Ale last time, also BB, and it came with DME. Thanks for the info on the weights though. I was starting to get upset that we had put the wrong ingredients in it. Must be the vodka talking (was practicing starting the siphon and filling the airlock with my mouth). Not really but drinking none-the-less. Thanks for the help.

How did your Oktoberfest come out? I just finished mine (boiling an almost full batch on the stovetop takes forever to boil AND cool!!!!). Had almost no mishaps this time around (round 2 for brewing) and the wort had MUCH more flavor than the first batch. Can't wait for it to ferment now!

How did your Oktoberfest come out? I just finished mine (boiling an almost full batch on the stovetop takes forever to boil AND cool!!!!). Had almost no mishaps this time around (round 2 for brewing) and the wort had MUCH more flavor than the first batch. Can't wait for it to ferment now!

It turned out excellent -- one of my best so far IMO. This was my first BB kit and I brewed it in the middle of June or so. I wish now that I had done a double batch of this one. I did good at waiting until the last 2 or 3 weeks to start drinking it (other than a sample or 2 of course), but I'm afraid it won't last long. I'll know better for next year. Except I might not wait that long -- as far as I'm concerned, Oktoberfest tastes pretty darn good year-around:mug:

:) I enjoy it as well. The wort sample that I tried tasted great, much better than my other beer. So glad to hear that yours turned out so well, gives me high hopes for this one ;)

Back