Midcountry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech211

Reaction score
I am going to be around Midcountry soon and I had a couple of questions about buying there. Can you just walk in and buy a sack or two, or must you call ahead? If you can walk in, is it very dusty? I will have an infant with me so I just wanted to check.

I am going to be around Midcountry soon and I had a couple of questions about buying there. Can you just walk in and buy a sack or two, or must you call ahead? If you can walk in, is it very dusty? I will have an infant with me so I just wanted to check.

Well... as someone who has worked in warehousing, logistics, and transportation, I can give you a few words about the general air quality in these places. Try not to breathe; especially this time of year when it is so costly to heat a large area and ventilation is at a premium. The dust that is in the air will be a composition of paper/cardbox fine particles which get into the lungs and if in it long enough, they will make you have pretty bad phlegm; sometimes even bloody noses and spit. Compound this with diesel exhaust plastered to the surface of everything; walls, ceilings, nasty cobwebs. Everything you touch will be dirty with grease and black spots of dead skin having been rubbed from hands; lots of build up of grime. The dust will also be combined with grain particles loaded with bacteria and wild yeasts. When I make my orders from them I have noticed the old familiar smell of hub dust on the packages. It may be one those things you have to have experienced to recognize it. Like the postman told me once, "All of the gas bills smell like rotten eggs" (The smell of gas). I never noticed it, even though I work as gas utility worker, as I do not have gas in my home.

The baby might be not such a good idea. But, they may have a storefront that is a lot cleaner, but dust and mites like this permeate these buildings. An example I can offer would be in my own home. I had forced hot air heating with oil. It wasn't until I went out and bought two pellet stoves that I noticed that everything had a layer of soot. That layer is gone now. In a lot of ways it is even like a drunk who one day becomes sober and suddenly has the realization about how terrible he felt for so long now that his system is purged of the toxins found in booze.

You might be better off asking them to bring the stuff outside because you have a baby in the car and she is sleeping of whatever and you don't want to wake her up. People are good with situations like that. In fact, my overall impression of the Country Malt Group is that they are 'A' number one people; real good, regular working Americans. Likewise, I also say this for the Puterbaughs of Hopsdirect.com. They are good German Catholics who like many Germans, according to my dad, who spent his formative years in Bavaria, came over here because they were the experts in the field. They couldn't have been happier to have recieved a well-wishing for their Christmas season and an explicit mention of God. They were so happy in fact that the owner contacted me directly to say on behalf of all their workers a sincere thank you. Backtrack to the Country Malt Group. It sprung up out of Champlain, NY. On the border of Montreal and Vermont. This is the heart of French Catholics in North America. I have seen some vociferation against French Americans on this board in another forum by one of our members out of California confusing them with the new atheists who had caused so much trouble in our foreign policy. My dear fellows these people come from the real backwoods. They are the salt of the earth. Places like the Country Malt Group and Puterbaugh Farms are often the best employer a man and a wife could wish to have in order to raise an honest family. Although I have no direct experience with the Mid-Country Malt Group, I can tell you the general positive attitude most permeates their entire operation. Don't worry about anything. Give them a call and tell them you are driving up. And, let them know you have a baby in the car. They will help you by God.

The last thing I might say is that no matter how clean a foreman tries to keep his shop or loading dock, it is invariably dirty, and no place for small children.

Well... as someone who has worked in warehousing, logistics, and transportation, I can give you a few words about the general air quality in these places. Try not to breathe; especially this time of year when it is so costly to heat a large area and ventilation is at a premium. The dust that is in the air will be a composition of paper/cardbox fine particles which get into the lungs and if in it long enough, they will make you have pretty bad phlegm; sometimes even bloody noses and spit. Compound this with diesel exhaust plastered to the surface of everything; walls, ceilings, nasty cobwebs. Everything you touch will be dirty with grease and black spots of dead skin having been rubbed from hands; lots of build up of grime. The dust will also be combined with grain particles loaded with bacteria and wild yeasts. When I make my orders from them I have noticed the old familiar smell of hub dust on the packages. It may be one those things you have to have experienced to recognize it. Like the postman told me once, "All of the gas bills smell like rotten eggs" (The smell of gas). I never noticed it, even though I work as gas utility worker, as I do not have gas in my home.

The baby might be not such a good idea. But, they may have a storefront that is a lot cleaner, but dust and mites like this permeate these buildings. An example I can offer would be in my own home. I had forced hot air heating with oil. It wasn't until I went out and bought two pellet stoves that I noticed that everything had a layer of soot. That layer is gone now. In a lot of ways it is even like a drunk who one day becomes sober and suddenly has the realization about how terrible he felt for so long now that his system is purged of the toxins found in booze.

You might be better off asking them to bring the stuff outside because you have a baby in the car and she is sleeping of whatever and you don't want to wake her up. People are good with situations like that. In fact, my overall impression of the Country Malt Group is that they are 'A' number one people; real good, regular working Americans. Likewise, I also say this for the Puterbaughs of Hopsdirect.com. They are good German Catholics who like many Germans, according to my dad, who spent his formative years in Bavaria, came over here because they were the experts in the field. They couldn't have been happier to have recieved a well-wishing for their Christmas season and an explicit mention of God. They were so happy in fact that the owner contacted me directly to say on behalf of all their workers a sincere thank you. Backtrack to the Country Malt Group. It sprung up out of Champlain, NY. On the border of Montreal and Vermont. This is the heart of French Catholics in North America. I have seen some vociferation against French Americans on this board in another forum by one of our members out of California confusing them with the new atheists who had caused so much trouble in our foreign policy. My dear fellows these people come from the real backwoods. They are the salt of the earth. Places like the Country Malt Group and Puterbaugh Farms are often the best employer a man and a wife could wish to have in order to raise an honest family. Although I have no direct experience with the Mid-Country Malt Group, I can tell you the general positive attitude most permeates their entire operation. Don't worry about anything. Give them a call and tell them you are driving up. And, let them know you have a baby in the car. They will help you by God.

The last thing I might say is that no matter how clean a foreman tries to keep his shop or loading dock, it is invariably dirty, and no place for small children.

Most.... Rambling...... Incoherent......Post........Ever.

Seriously. You actually shoehorned a religion debate into this answer?

Are you going to the one in South Holland Illinois because I was there last month and there was no dust, it was really clean. I always call and order but I know a few that have went in and it took a little while but they got their order. I called in the order and picked it up the next day and was in and out in 5 - 10 minutes.

Are you going to the one in South Holland Illinois because I was there last month and there was no dust, it was really clean. I always call and order but I know a few that have went in and it took a little while but they got their order. I called in the order and picked it up the next day and was in and out in 5 - 10 minutes.

Yes. That's the one. I could just have it delivered for a mere $10 as usual, but I figured if I was off, why not? I could pick up two without paying the excessive extra shipping. I guess I should just play it safe and order for delivery, though.

if you have a pickup truck you can back into the shipping dock and they will load the grain for you. That is what they did when I was there last month getting 300lb of grain.

Anyone know if they're open on Sundays? I'm in Chicago now, but haven't been able to reach anyone from the toll-free number they list on the site.

Its clean as a warehouse selling grain can be. I think they prefer you to order and pay by phone but same day is fine, in my experience.

Back