Micros and 3 day bulk fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I recently learned that one of my favorite micro breweries only lets their beer sit in "primary" for 3 days then it is off to the kegs until it is ready. I could see the HUGE advantage to this and wonder why I never thought of it before.

Is this what most micros do?

Where I work it sits in the conical for 14 days, transferred to brite tanks, carb'd and served.

Where I work it sits in the conical for 14 days, transferred to brite tanks, carb'd and served.

Curious, is that at a Brewpub where you only serve in house or do you sell kegs or bottles?

Brewpub. Currently we only do on-premise sales. We have the ability to keg off of the brite tanks, just not in large quantities. No bottles.

I suppose for a production brewery you could move to kegs after only 3 days... though 3 days in we usually still have active fermentation.

I feel like that is the point.

(Keep in mind all of the beers from this brewery are sold as unfiltered)

Get active fermentation going for the entire batch so there is plenty of yeast in suspension throughout. Transfer to kegs to finish the fermentation and free up your conical so you can keep producing.

Edit: Maybe also save some cost on CO2 due to the fermentation creating its own and partly carbonating the keg.

I will guess Rock Bottom...

NOPE. Mac N Jacks.

I know BMC drinkers that use them as the occasional "go-to" beer when they are bored of swill. A local favorite that isn't going anywhere but up. Not sure how long they have been in production but I found out that "Mac" used to be a neighbor of mine when I was younger, this was while he was still a homebrewer.

I feel like that is the point.

(Keep in mind all of the beers from this brewery are sold as unfiltered)

Get active fermentation going for the entire batch so there is plenty of yeast in suspension throughout. Transfer to kegs to finish the fermentation and free up your conical so you can keep producing.

Edit: Maybe also save some cost on CO2 due to the fermentation creating its own and partly carbonating the keg.

I suppose that would be akin to krausening, just in individual kegs rather than large storage vessels. an not adding it to completed beer. and not for a lager.

so not really anything like krausening...

anyway, if it makes great beer can't argue with their methods!

Mac N Jacks ?

Never heard of them. The name reminds me of Jack in the Box or Mac N Cheese, so the boycott is on!

They produce some fine beers. The only thing I can get on the dry side of the state is the African Amber, which is awesome.

H-ost said:
NOPE. Mac N Jacks.

I know BMC drinkers that use them as the occasional "go-to" beer when they are bored of swill. A local favorite that isn't going anywhere but up. Not sure how long they have been in production but I found out that "Mac" used to be a neighbor of mine when I was younger, this was while he was still a homebrewer.

You list Bellevue on your HB info thus the Rock Bottom guess.

Interesting. I was not familiar with Mac N Jacks which apparently out of Redmond. Also surprised that they are one of the larger craft brewers out west even though they apparently only do draft.

You list Bellevue on your HB info thus the Rock Bottom guess.

Interesting. I was not familiar with Mac N Jacks which apparently out of Redmond. Also surprised that they are one of the larger craft brewers out west even though they apparently only do draft.

Yep, one of my jobs is just a few doors away from Mac n Jacks. On some mornings I can smell the mash... mmmmmm.....

H-ost,

I'm guessing that they're simply transferring from the primary to the keg while an active fermentation is going on. Most of yeast might still be in suspension and yeast sediments in kegs. It must be a hassle to clean these kegs out afterwards! Still, it sounds cool and must work well on a commercial scale.

DocDave

Latest posts

Back