Metschnikowia Reukaufii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had the chance but I can't help but wonder how much of it they will sell if they don't change the name to something more "palatable". ;)
Just to make sure, you are aware that you need to use this in conjuction with a regular yeast, right?

I haven't had the chance but I can't help but wonder how much of it they will sell if they don't change the name to something more "palatable". ;)
Just to make sure, you are aware that you need to use this in conjuction with a regular yeast, right?
Yeah, i'm aware of that. i'm starting my first trials next week. Thinking about brewing a 60L batch and spliting in two fermenters, and putting the reukaufii in only one of them. I'll be brewing a NEIPA with the Juice Strain along with M. Reukaufii (80/20 proportion) and a Kettle Sour beer fermented with the same strains to see how it performs with fruit.

Since this strain doesn't use the maltose, and the vial only contains 10B cells, are you planning on doing a starter in something other than wort in order to build up cell count to the necessary level?

Since this strain doesn't use the maltose, and the vial only contains 10B cells, are you planning on doing a starter in something other than wort in order to build up cell count to the necessary level?
The necessary level to ferment 9-10% of total extract in association with a regular yeast? I really wouldn't consider a starter unless your batches are really big.

The necessary level to ferment 9-10% of total extract in association with a regular yeast? I really wouldn't consider a starter unless your batches are really big.
He's talking about a 20 % pitch ratio with A38 in a 7.5-gallon batch... he's going to need a starter if he wants that ratio.

My bad. Since we're talking about the Reukafii (how do you even pronounce that??) I assumed that was what you were referring to.

Actually, turns out Dr. Reukauf is a German so it should be

Roy cow fee

with an extra long eeee at the end. ;)

I won't even try the first part as my Russian is too rusty to be any good.

There's been an extensive thread on M. reukaufii (roy-cow-fee-eye) previously, I suggest you search for it, read it and then keep further discussion in the one place.

There's been an extensive thread on M. reukaufii (roy-cow-fee-eye) previously, I suggest you search for it, read it and then keep further discussion in the one place.
Are you referring to this thread which had centered mostly around YeastBay's Kveik strains, Voss is particular:
Post #89 is the first one I could find where M. reukaufii is being introduced, alas, in a blend with Kveik Voss. Not as a pure isolate at that date (April 2, 2019), although the discussion has moved into that direction.

I don't see anything wrong with discussing M. reukaufii here, in her own thread. As long as posters familiarize themselves (they should) with the applicable content of both threads to prevent duplication of efforts.

My bad. Since we're talking about the Reukafii (how do you even pronounce that??) I assumed that was what you were referring to.

I'm new to this yeast. I keep reading the name as Rafiki, as in the baboon from Lion King. Here he is, with his mash paddle in fact

upload_2019-10-2_12-8-12.png

I'll be brewing the first test batches with this culture this week. One is a NEIPA with Passion Fruit and Vanilla featuring galaxy Amarillo and mosaic hops, with a Blend of Juice (95% of the pitch) and M. Reukaufii (5% of the pitch)
The other one will be a proper side-by-side comparison, will split a 50L batch of another NEIPA in two fermenters, one only with the DryHop yeast, the other one with DryHop Yeast (90% of pitch) and M. Reukaufii (10% of the pitch). As soon as the beers are done will be back sharing my thoughts one this!

@Pedro Vieira have you tried out your test batches yet? Any meaningful differences? I just ordered some, thinking I'm going to do that and then do a 'simple' split batch NEIPA - one with LAIII + Reukaufii and one just LAIII and just using probably two hops.

I pinged Nick at Yeast Bay and he recommended a starter of 1/2 DME 1/2 dextrose for propagating. Will likely do that then try pitching around 75:25, LAIII:Reukaufii.

I'll be brewing the first test batches with this culture this week. One is a NEIPA with Passion Fruit and Vanilla featuring galaxy Amarillo and mosaic hops, with a Blend of Juice (95% of the pitch) and M. Reukaufii (5% of the pitch)
The other one will be a proper side-by-side comparison, will split a 50L batch of another NEIPA in two fermenters, one only with the DryHop yeast, the other one with DryHop Yeast (90% of pitch) and M. Reukaufii (10% of the pitch). As soon as the beers are done will be back sharing my thoughts one this!
@Pedro Vieira have you tried out your test batches yet? Any meaningful differences? I just ordered some, thinking I'm going to do that and then do a 'simple' split batch NEIPA - one with LAIII + Reukaufii and one just LAIII and just using probably two hops.

I pinged Nick at Yeast Bay and he recommended a starter of 1/2 DME 1/2 dextrose for propagating. Will likely do that then try pitching around 75:25, LAIII:Reukaufii.

Was wondering if you guys did your split batches and could comment on any differences and what your thoughts are. I picked up a pack recently and am going to be playing around with it soon.

I never ended up doing a split batch unfortunately, keep meaning to order some more and try. I really loved the beer I made with it & LAIII but can't say what exactly it contributed

I never ended up doing a split batch unfortunately, keep meaning to order some more and try. I really loved the beer I made with it & LAIII but can't say what exactly it contributed
In theory this aids with biotransformation, and releases fruity esters by itself

Any report on how this ended up turning out? Sorry it's so much later!

Back