method to raising fg without using maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintandhisbeer

Reaction score
my trippel finished at 1.005.. I was hoping for around 1.015. The beer is very thin and boozy. I'm not getting any of the sweetness I look for in a trippel. I hear to add maltodextrin but that's only gonna increase mouth feel. I want to make a 1 gallon batch of beer with light DME, and light Munich and rack on top of it to increase malt flavors. Then throw it refrigerator at 32° so the yeast will stay dormant.. Any feedback on this? Thanks

Eschew multi-posting.

How are you going to package and condition this beer?
Keg and force-carb you can get away with; keg-conditioning will only up the ABV further.

Glass could totally be a problem. You'd certainly want to avoid adding additional primer, then maybe cover the bottles with a blast screen :eek:

Cheers!

I was thinking using a bucket for a few days in the fridge. Then transfer into a keg and force carb with the shake method.. Then throw it in the keggerator and start pouring.. Whatcha think?

And I multiposted cause I wasn't getting a response and was trying to do this before it got too late

I'd say hold off, package it as is, and sit on it for a while. I like my Tripels (and Strong Belgians in general) to finish 1.008. Very dry. "Digestible" as they say. If you're brewing a sweet Tripel you're doing it wrong. Malty flavors, yes, but it should be very dry. Now, you're a little lower than I'd ideally like, but I'd rather my Tripel be at 1.005 than 1.015. Let it condition at around 55 for 6 months, and then see how it's fairing. The alcohol should mellow, and you may start perceiving the sweetness you intend. I think your plan is a bad one, as you're going to also get intermediary compounds if you try to stall a fermentation like that. If you really want to go your route and blend in new wort, I would use some munich and pale crystal (use some CaraHell or CaraVienne for this, I wouldn't go darker), and mash it at 158, and then blend, and let it attenuate, where it should bring it up a few points.

What you are wanting to do is "back sweeten" the beer. Since you dont want to use malto, you could always use lactose, as it wont ferment. Since this is a big beer, Im not sure how well it will age if you dump in some boiled DME and keep it cold the whole time (to keep the yeast dormant).

If you want to go with the malt method, maybe steep some grains at 160F to create a non-fermentable wort. Then you can add this (after boiled/cooled) to your tripel, and should be able to keep it warm without having to worry about restarting fermentation. You can also let it age at room temp.

I am just spitballing here, as Ive never had to back sweeten a beer

I would leave it be. The thin and boozy part might be caused by fusels commonly created by Belgian yeasts in big beers. I've had tripels that tasted like that at first but got much better over months. I don;t think you are necessarily looking for "sweetness" since that is not what tripels are known for. I think you are referring more to the apple/pear fruit esters common of Belgian yeasts used in tripels. Over time the yeast will smooth things out and make the beer better. Dont mess with it by adding maltodextrin now.

Back