messed up threads on ball lock gas post.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me know if you can follow this (all ball lock kegs)....

I racked beer into Keg A. The gas post A was leaking from the poppet. So I removed post A, and replaced with gas post B from keg B.

Fixed poppet on post A, but now post A will not fit onto Keg A or Keg B.

Keg C's gas post (post C), will fit on both B and C, while post A won't fit on A, B, or C now.

I have yet to try post B onto keg C (As post B is on Keg A now which is full of beer).

I'm assuming that post A's threads got messed up somehow (it will turn less than one full rotation on kegs A, B, and C).

And, I've also read and seen some info provided to me from some folks here that ball lock posts are not always the same size and that it depends on the brand of the keg.

Regardless, I need to replace gas post A. How do I what to replace it with? The kegs are marked "Dr. Pepper" or something, but I don't know if they're Firestone or what.

Help?

You've had over 24 hours to try post B on on keg C. Get off your lazy butt and do it already! :D

Probably the easiest way for you to find out what threads each type are is to go to a hardware store and use their thread gauge. If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot close by, in the plumbing section where the stems for faucets and shower are at, there is usually a thread gauge that you can screw your post into and that will tell you what thread size you have. It's just a block with holes threaded to different sizes and looks similar to this.

LvLcPmqQtjPGOsYriveh_UzDQyi3Fo45ZQ-AM5SdWAZwjXbWlM4doowPRfzkZXArPOV1pJSb0mXWRYzknMJcxu82joBtV7JKfTAThqWw6wFkuyHfnf8UMWf-ekYg3GVoZBhGBXR6aXXyQw1XQ5Y156CpLqHHo4Pkol28hyY

Most hardware stores will have one for matching bolt sizes and such.

The keezer looks sweet btw. Didn't get a chance to reply before we were raptured. (and I see Suds is alive! Or a zombie. :eek:)

You've had over 24 hours to try post B on on keg C. Get off your lazy butt and do it already! :D

I've been doing things. :D

Probably the easiest way for you to find out what threads each type are is to go to a hardware store and use their thread gauge. If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot close by, in the plumbing section where the stems for faucets and shower are at, there is usually a thread gauge that you can screw your post into and that will tell you what thread size you have. It's just a block with holes threaded to different sizes and looks similar to this.

LvLcPmqQtjPGOsYriveh_UzDQyi3Fo45ZQ-AM5SdWAZwjXbWlM4doowPRfzkZXArPOV1pJSb0mXWRYzknMJcxu82joBtV7JKfTAThqWw6wFkuyHfnf8UMWf-ekYg3GVoZBhGBXR6aXXyQw1XQ5Y156CpLqHHo4Pkol28hyY

Most hardware stores will have one for matching bolt sizes and such.

Ah, I didn't think about that! Thanks! But not with the "damaged" post of course, right? Take post x that fits on keg y, and buy another post x and discard post A. :D

Thanks for you help with this KC. (also, I just bought a rib rack today for the smoker, so I can fit more on!)

The keezer looks sweet btw. Didn't get a chance to reply before we were raptured. (and I see Suds is alive! Or a zombie. :eek:)

Thanks. I'm continuing to screw around with the stain; haven't been able to get the nails covered like I want, and a small section of the poplar won't stain like I want, but I guess that's what happens with poplar....

I've been doing things. :D

I think I expressed my opinion about excuses last night. :D

Ah, I didn't think about that! Thanks! But not with the "damaged" post of course, right? Take post x that fits on keg y, and buy another post x and discard post A. :D

Well, if you'd try post b on keg c, you'd know that they were all the same and that that was the post size you needed for keg a. ;)

Thanks for you help with this KC. (also, I just bought a rib rack today for the smoker, so I can fit more on!)

More ribs = better :mug:

Thanks. I'm continuing to screw around with the stain; haven't been able to get the nails covered like I want, and a small section of the poplar won't stain like I want, but I guess that's what happens with poplar....

Did you sand it good? If you don't get the pores opened up on the wood before staining it won't take it evenly. On the nails, a nail punch and some wood putty should do the trick. I don't use the stainable wood putty though, it never matches or absorbs the stain right. I try to get putty that matches the final stain color.

On any note, it looks great in the pics as it is. You probably only see the flaws since you're looking a lot closer than anyone else ever will. I'm the same way though. Every flaw is like a red spot on a white canvas.

Well, if you'd try post b on keg c, you'd know that they were all the same and that that was the post size you needed for keg a. ;)

Actually, since Keg A is fine now; and I know post C fits on Keg B, I just need an equal to post C for Keg B! Problem solved! (except for why post A is screwed up...)

Did you sand it good? If you don't get the pores opened up on the wood before staining it won't take it evenly. On the nails, a nail punch and some wood putty should do the trick. I don't use the stainable wood putty though, it never matches or absorbs the stain right. I try to get putty that matches the final stain color.

I've been sanding and staining many times now on this project. Poplar is just tough - google staining poplar and you'll see many different opinions on the subject....

On any note, it looks great in the pics as it is. You probably only see the flaws since you're looking a lot closer than anyone else ever will. I'm the same way though. Every flaw is like a red spot on a white canvas.

Thanks again - I don't do much DIY stuff, so I want this one to be visually acceptable :D

And, I think the keg problem is solved - I need to replicate post C for keg B :drunk:

Back