Mesquite wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I want to try making a mesquite smoked porter, and use mesquite wood from a tree in my yard. I have found a couple threads about using mesquite wood, but not a lot of info on the flavors it imparts. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any suggestions as far as toasting the wood?

Just to be clear, I'll be using smoked malt for smoke flavor. Not the mesquite wood.

I've only used it for smoking beef. For smoking, it can be a little harsh compared to other smoking woods. I'm not sure if the same thing would be true for using chips/chunks in a beer. Toss some in a glass of water for a little while, then try it. That'll give you an idea of the flavors it'll impart in a beer.

Verdict? I had the exact same thought- making a mesquite stout for a big end of summer BBQ, and I am curious if the good parts of the mesquite flavor really come through, and if so, how the wood is best prepared.

I tried soaking the wood in water and then tasting the water, and all I got was this vegetal flavor. Not anything I'd want in a beer. I'll probably play it safe and stick with oak.

Latest posts

Back