Medicinal/band-aid off flavors in hoppy recipes only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctaC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker here, been brewing since 2011, currently about to brew my 23rd batch. I started with extract, moved on to partial and also do a bit of all-grain using the brew in a bag method. Since I started I've always been in an apartment (currently in the high rise variety) so there's not really the option to brew outdoors. Because of this and the limited space, I've stuck to stove top methods and generally have had success with my recipes. Some of my notable creations include a belgian styled dubbel that is creeping up on 3 years in the bottle now and tasting better as time goes on; a chocolate stout that was probably my all around favorite; and a belgian wit that I brewed for our wedding that went over very well with the guests. (personally think it turned out VERY similar to http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27839/77315/)

So there are definitely a handful of my beers that have exceeded my expectations. Others were more or less underwhelming, and not necessarily failures, but just didn't do it for me. Then there are the absolute disappointments; and that is why I'm here today looking for the advice of the community. About 5 or 6 of my recipes have wound up with a very strong band-aid aroma and flavor. ALL of these recipes were either IPAs or pale ales, with more than just an oz or two of hops. I have not been able to figure out what is causing this, and it is baffling me as I've been very careful with my sanitation (and I don't think it's infection.... it would be quite a coincidence that only my IPAs were becoming infected). I've also controlled fermentation temps to the mid 60s, used yeast starters for all recipes

In my latest batch, a single hopped (simcoe) AG session IPA (or extra hopped pale-ale, it's just a name), I believe I've come closer to identifying the cause. I did an extensive tasting of the beer before bottling, and these medicinal, rubbery flavors were not present whatsoever (it was quite delicious actually) It was only after bottle conditioning that this flavor really started to come about. I tasted at 1, 2 and 3 weeks in the bottle, and the flavor only gets worse. Like I said this is not the first time I've had this problem; the other IPA batches that wound up like this had to be dumped.

I've done some extensive reading on the subject; and a lot is pointing to the chlorine/chloramine in the tap water. I live in Tampa, FL, in the middle of the city and these chemicals are present in the tap water. This all being said, I do not use the tap water for brewing, just sanitization (mixing with star-san). Confirmed there is chlorine in the tap water here: https://www.tampagov.net/dept_water/files/Annual_Report_and_CCR/water_quality_report.pdf

I know I've rambled quite a bit... but is my tap water mixed with the star-san (which becomes cloudy immediately) potentially causing this in the bottle? I dunk all bottles in the solution before bottling. Before this, they are cleaned in an oxy-clean free solution (also mixed with tap-water), usually the night before, and rinsed VERY thoroughly. Would the star-san dunk be the issue here? I don't rinse... as they say don't fear the foam. Is there enough of the chlorine in the tap water to cause the issue in the bottle? Would a campden tab fix this, or should I use only distilled for all my brewing activities? Should I avoid any contact with tap water in any of my brewing processes? This can obviously prove difficult..... sometimes you just need to rinse!

Sorry for the long post, but I feel at this point the more info presented the better. I've already asked the LHBS, and they seem to think it's infection. I disagree... I just can't believe my only infected batches happened to all be IPAs. I really think there's some correlation between the hops and the water... just want to see if anyone else out there has had similar issues. I will definitely be experimenting with my water on my next bottling session. If the same thing happens I just don't know where to look next.

Thanks.

Not sure, but you could try boiling water to ensure the water becomes chlorine-free. Usually the heat and the time it takes to reach boil is enough to remove chlorine, and it may be faster than using a Brita pitcher. I'd do a gallon for a small batch of StarSan to test to see if it improves your beer.

I just looked up something about chlorine's affect on beer, I guess it reacts with organic compounds. Since hop-forward beers often have more proteins and other organic compounds, it could be causing more of the reaction to occur, leaving more off-flavor compounds.

For one IPA you may need to eliminate all tap water in your brewing process. Bottled spring water for brewing the beer and distilled water for the Starsan solution. Rinse water in containers for a couple of days for chlorine to evaporate and treated with Campden tablets for chloramine.

The off taste could be a combination of a small amount of chloramine or chlorine and the hops for your pale ales and IPAs.

Chlorine and chloramine levels can be changed by the city on a daily basis depending upon water quality.

It could be infected bottles but I'd start out with changing to distilled water for your starsan and really clean all your gear in PBW.

Really appreciate the ideas folks. Seems most agree I'm on the right track by focusing on the water. Next round there won't be any tap water. I'll be sure to update this thread, as I can't be the only one that's run into this issue.

Latest posts

Back