Mecca Grade Estate Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Has anybody used them? I saw some of my favorite breweries using these guys and ended up at their website https://www.meccagrade.com/

Looks like pretty good stuff. I have seen that a few PNW LHBS spots are stocking it now. I shot them an email and got a quick reply saying they sell direct to homebrewers, and offer tours of the process.

The malt is a touch pricey, but I think I am gonna give it a shot here pretty soon. It's a bit of a drive out there, but sounds like a good time.

Does anyone have any experience brewing with these malts?

Pricing listed on their site is per pound.
Is that a sack price?
What’s shipping like?

Just wondering how much info you got from them.

I didn't get into many details with my email. It was more of a "Hey I want to check out your malts, do you sell direct to home brewers?" sorta email.

From their site I get that it will be a bit pricier, but that is all I really know. He said he would package up whatever I needed and ship UPS. He said it wasn't always cost effective to ship larger orders, and it could be as much as $30 to ship a 50lb sack. Other then that he just said if I wanted to head out there he would give me a tour of the operation.

I have been researching these malts quite a bit the past few days. I am very interested in them, and I feel for this small price increase I can get a lot more unique flavors in my beers. Their malts have a rustic quality that really fits my brewing style. Plus, the dude is a homebrewer which means something to me.

Sorry I don't have much more insight from the email. I'm probably going to email him in about a week when I am in a position to figure out how I am going to go about getting some of these malts. I'll update this thread.

On the Experimental Brewing podcast (episode #50) Denny interviews Mecca Grade. There is a lot of neat information on that feature as well.

I got some Opal 44 in an Oregon Super Dank kit I won from FH Steinbart and I gotta say it was the tastiest malt I have ever had. While my boil was going I set the bag of spent grain on the kitchen table and couldn't stop eating it. Delicious!

My club has done one large group buy from Seth. Great malt. It is pricier, but I think it is worth it for styles that you're trying to make stand out.

I have used all the Mecca Grade malts extensively. They have a unique flavor that really pumps up my beer. Their rye malt has to be the tastiest rye malt I've ever tried. They've kinda spoiled me when it comes to malt.

I have used all the Mecca Grade malts extensively. They have a unique flavor that really pumps up my beer. Their rye malt has to be the tastiest rye malt I've ever tried. They've kinda spoiled me when it comes to malt.

I'm loving this Malt as well. So far, I've only used the Pils and White Wheat, but I'm getting ready to dive into more of their offerings.

I wanted to ask you your opinion on Gold Rush, and Skagit Valley Malts. After my experience with Mecca, I am very interested in these local maltsters. Is Gold Rush Pale and Mecca's Pale pretty similar being of the same variety? Do you have any experience with Skagit Valley?

Thanks man!

I'm loving this Malt as well. So far, I've only used the Pils and White Wheat, but I'm getting ready to dive into more of their offerings.

I wanted to ask you your opinion on Gold Rush, and Skagit Valley Malts. After my experience with Mecca, I am very interested in these local maltsters. Is Gold Rush Pale and Mecca's Pale pretty similar being of the same variety? Do you have any experience with Skagit Valley?

Thanks man!

Haven't tried the Skagit. Gold Rush sent me a bag of a kind of unusual one-off malt called Eureka. Kinda of a Munich but not exactly. I've used it in several beers and I like it a lot. If the rest of their stuff is that quality, it should be great. I think that Gold Zrush and Mecca use different malting process, so I'd guess there would be differences, but no direct experience.

My LHBS carries Skagit, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the big guys. I've used small amounts of Skagit specialty grains but have not yet wanted to pay the premium to use a base malt. (They don't even stock the base malts in in bins as large as those for Briess, Weyermann, etc.)

Between wanting deals on grain and fighting with efficiency issues, I am reluctantly concluding I need my own mill...

I've brewed with Skagit Valley's Copeland Pale and Talisman Pale and really enjoyed the beers they turned out. I find both are richer than the varieties from larger maltsters. I'd love to brew with more of their malt but I don't believe they sell directly to homebrewers (or didn't last I checked).

Really curious about trying some Mecca Grade. I don't think anyone around me sells it.

It's good malt. I recommend trying it at least once. The price makes it a little prohibitive to brew with all the time IMO. I'll stick with Great Western and Briess.

I've brewed with Skagit Valley's Copeland Pale and Talisman Pale and really enjoyed the beers they turned out. I find both are richer than the varieties from larger maltsters. I'd love to brew with more of their malt but I don't believe they sell directly to homebrewers (or didn't last I checked).

Really curious about trying some Mecca Grade. I don't think anyone around me sells it.

I'm pretty sure they do sell direct to homebrewers at the facility. I have heard that they do not turn folks away, but it is not a speedy process. Several HBS places sell it in the NW.

I am planning on getting some Skagit Purple Obsidian here pretty soon.

The Mecca stuff is 62 bucks for 50 pounds. I think it is reasonable for the quality of product.

I'm pretty sure they do sell direct to homebrewers at the facility. I have heard that they do not turn folks away, but it is not a speedy process

Cool. I'll have to head up to Burlington when I get a free afternoon. The Obsidian malt sounds especially interesting. Would love to hear how your beer turns out with it.

Cool. I'll have to head up to Burlington when I get a free afternoon. The Obsidian malt sounds especially interesting. Would love to hear how your beer turns out with it.

I'll let you know. I'm thinking equal parts Mecca Grade Pelton, Shaniko, and Skagit's Obsidian with Wallonian Yeast from TYB.

If you end up making the trip out the Burlington let us know how the experience was. It's a long trip for me, but I could make a day out of it with stops at Holy Mountain, and Urban Family. Cheers!

Just found this thread.., had the good fortune to swing through Madras on my way from Govy to Bend and stopped by the Mecca Grade facilities to pick up a few sacks of malt. I was thinking of just buying them from Steinbart but at $99 a bag I just couldn’t pull the trigger on something I hadn’t tried before and since I knew I was going to be nearby I thought I’d see if I could just pick some up at the facility.

Called up and talked to Brandon (I think that’s his name) and he assured me he’d be there til at least 5 and I could definitely buy right from their spot in Madras. If you’re in the area I would highly suggest checking it out, it’s an awesome place. Brandon might be one of the nicest people I’ve met in the recent past. He remembered me from my call 6 hours earlier and offered me a beer and a tour of the facility which I didn’t expect at all. Walked out with sacks of Lamonta pale and Shaniko Wheat, a glass, T-shirt, and a bunch of stickers.

Brewed my first beer with the goods last week. Did a simple:

80% Lamonta
20% Shaniko
Styrian Goldings

That I split equally between 3726 and Hothead. Took a gravity a few days ago and even though both still had a little ways to go I was loving the malt character, very unique and flavorful. Going to cold condition both for a few weeks before bottle conditioning to a nice high carb level so it’ll be a while before they’re ready but I’ll be sure to report back.

It would surprise me if it was difficult for homebrewers to get Mecca Grade Malt since it is one of Brülosophy’s sponsors.

You can order it in 50 lbs from them online. It's 62.50 for base malts if I recall. Shipping puts it closer to 100 for me in the same state. There are 3 LHBS's in Oregon that supply it, but the price is high after shipping and the shop takes a small cut. At LHBS shops you can order small amounts.

So yeah, it is not really difficult to get, it just get's spendy if you can't drive out.

I have just about finished a 50 LB bag of the Lamonta. I really like the flavor compared with the "standard" 2-row from the local homebrew shop. It is rich and complex. The Opal 44 is nice but it seems easy to use too much and get a strong caramel, butterscotch flavor from it. I bought it from F. H. Steinbart in Portland.

I just ordered a sack of the Pale malt. With shipping it's costing me lots but still cheaper than buying it from Northern Brewer even with their free shipping. But its not something I can afford all the time. I'll try it first by itself then probably split it 50/50 after than with the Rahr I keep around.
Wish it was available at my LHBS.

Lately it has been nearly 100% for me. I have some of the Skagit Obsidian and a bit of rolled spelt around that I have used with it as well - but thats about it.

Im drinking a hoppy beer as we speak that was all MG malt. I hopped it NE style. The malts work very well with it for me.

I just ordered a sack of the Mecca Grade Lamonte malt because I want very badly to try this but I hope I'm amazed. The sack price of $60ish was ok but I'm spending another $50 to ship to me. I think it still might be about what my LHBS sells their standard 2 row for but I always buy sacks to save money.
I'm not sure it's worth the extra money but I'm treating myself.

Do you feel like the base Malt can hold its own or do you add specialty malt for depth?

That particular beer was 73% Pale, 20% White Wheat, and 7% Vienna with the Mecca Grade versions of those malts.

I've often used just the Pale or Pils with the White Wheat (those are the 3 50# sacks I got originally). I think the base malts hold their own. I found a LBS that I could get smaller amounts of MG from so I picked up some Vienna and Rye to try out.

You could try out the base malts first, and take it from there. I usually aim for pretty simple malt bills anyways.

Has anybody used them? I saw some of my favorite breweries using these guys and ended up at their website https://www.meccagrade.com/

Looks like pretty good stuff. I have seen that a few PNW LHBS spots are stocking it now. I shot them an email and got a quick reply saying they sell direct to homebrewers, and offer tours of the process.

The malt is a touch pricey, but I think I am gonna give it a shot here pretty soon. It's a bit of a drive out there, but sounds like a good time.

Does anyone have any experience brewing with these malts?
Our brew club in Bend (Central Oregon Homebrewers Org) got a tour of Mecca Grade. They have a great facility and are good folks. Most of their production is bought by Bend breweries. They did sell directly to our club members and I think that Jeff at the Brew Shop in Bend carries their products. They are superior malts. You can taste the difference just crunching a few kernels in your mouth. It is just a family farm so buying with shipping involved might be expensive.

one more random data point: i was lucky enough to walk away from NHC with most of a bag of MG's rye malt. it's noticeably better than the ryes offered by the big boys. it's my go-to from now on. looking forward to trying their other malts.

i was in madras last summer for the eclipse. wish it had occurred to me to look up MG...

one more random data point: i was lucky enough to walk away from NHC with most of a bag of MG's rye malt. it's noticeably better than the ryes offered by the big boys. it's my go-to from now on. looking forward to trying their other malts.

i was in madras last summer for the eclipse. wish it had occurred to me to look up MG...

I agree about the Rye. I have been using a lot more Rye in my brewing since trying out Rimrock Rye. I have been doing a all Mecca Grade Saison with about 16% that has just been blowing my mind.

I saw on a FB feed that they are releasing a new unmalted grain that sounds really interesting. I am looking forward to giving it a go.

I'm like to try it, but the price to ship sacks of grain to PA gets my cheapskate gears turning. Then last night, I paid almost $24 for a variety pack that is good but not really great, so now I think I'll splurge and order some....
Edit: I just went figured up the shipping and a sack of the rye is $157.

Last edited:
I'm like to try it, but the price to ship sacks of grain to PA gets my cheapskate gears turning. Then last night, I paid almost $24 for a variety pack that is good but not really great, so now I think I'll splurge and order some....
Edit: I just went figured up the shipping and a sack of the rye is $157.
:eek:

jeebus... it's a damn fine malt, but not sure if it's pay-over-twice-as-much fine. maybe you can find it at an online retailer by the pound, with a more reasonable shipping rate?

Back